Sustainability is advanced at Willamette University on all levels by staff, students, and faculty. The University has established formal leadership structures to guide and direct initiative and innovation, including:
The Willamette University Sustainability Institute Director reports to the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, and meets periodically with an Executive Committee regarding Sustainability Advisory Board proposals, the Sustainability Institute's annual work plan, and other issues as needed.
Executive Committee Members
- Carol Long, Senior Vice President For Academic and Student Affairs (chair)
- Ruth Feingold, Dean, College of Liberal Arts
- Ed Whipple, Vice President, Campus Life
- Joe Bowersox, Professor, Earth & Environmental Sciences (faculty representative)
- Monica Rimai, Senior Vice President, Finance and Administration
- Jim Bauer, Vice President, Planning and External Affairs
- Dan Valles, Associate Vice President, Financial Operations
- Russ Yost, Chief Communications Officer
- Joe Abraham, Director, Sustainability Institute
Willamette University's Sustainability Institute serves to strategically advance sustainability in academics, operations, and campus and community engagement.
The Institute also oversees the administration and planning of Willamette University's Zena Forest.
The Sustainability Advisory Board is chaired by the Director of the Sustainability Institute and is composed of appointed faculty, staff, and students focusing broadly on assessing and advancing (1) sustainability in the curriculum, (2) campus and community engagement, (3) and operations and campus planning, and (4) their integration where possible.
The Advisory Board's charge is to:
- Advocate for engagement and learning outcomes as integral to all curricular, co-curricular, and operations & campus planning sustainability initiatives at Willamette University.
- In conjunction with and facilitated by the Institute director, identify and monitor progress towards specific sustainability goals that comport with broader objectives and expectations established in the university’s strategic plan and set by the Sustainability Executive Committee.
- In conjunction with the Institute director, provide progress reports annually to the Sustainability Executive Committee.
- In conjunction with the Sustainability Institute, the Green Initiative Fund, and other campus units, engage student, staff, and faculty in the advancement of sustainability at Willamette University.
- Provide ongoing guidance, support and advice to the Institute Director as needed in achieving desired outcomes.
Advisory Board Members
- Joe Abraham, Director, Willamette University Sustainability Institute (chair)
- Alison Fisher, Associate Professor, Chemistry
- Elliot Maltz, Professor, Atkinson Graduate School of Management
- Janet Lorenzen, Assistant Professor, Sociology
- Susan Smith, Professor, College of Law & Director of the Certificate Program in Sustainability
- Adam Torgerson, Director, Media Relations
- Susan Chiapella, Budget & Accreditation Analyst, Atkinson Graduate School of Management
- Mark Mazurier, Assistant Director, Campus Planning
- Eric Lassahn, Director, Office of Community Service Learning
- Christine Shanaberger, Director of Foundation Relations, Office of Development and Alumni Relations
- Savanna Steele, undergraduate student representative
- Kim Sherman, graduate student representative (Law)
- Carol Drost, Associate University Librarian, Hatfield Library
- Heather Bright, AGSM graduate student representative