Meet your NEW mentor …
Willamette coaches work hard to help athletes reach their full potential — both on and off the playing field. They have led numerous students and teams to top conference, regional and national rankings, but they focus on more than just the final win-loss tally.
Many of our athletes describe their coaches as their biggest mentors. In between running drills and reviewing plays, they might also ask you about your latest English paper or your politics final.
Our coaches will push you to become better at your sport, but they are also dedicated to your overall well-being.
"We want students to enjoy playing at Willamette, but we also want them to grow into successful people," says men's basketball head coach Kip Ioane. "We want you to leave Willamette with a career path and the knowledge and maturity to make decisions in the real world."
- Matt McGuirk, track and cross country coach, has earned 2 national, 13 regional and 22 conference Coach of the Year awards.
- Glen Fowles, head football coach, was named national Coordinator Coach of the Year in 2008 when Willamette went undefeated during the regular season.
- Hillary Arthur, women's soccer coach, was the 2011 Northwest Conference Coach of the Year.
- Damian Williams, softball coach, led the Bearcats to six straight 20-win seasons from 2005-10 and is a past conference Coach of the Year.
- Becky Roberts, women's tennis coach, once earned conference Coach of the Year, and in 2009 led a player to second place at the regional championship.
Matt McGuirkHillary ArthurDamian Williams