Update: The spring sessions for the Certificate in Business Lawyering program have been postponed to Fall 2011 (dates TBD). Please check back here for the new schedule or call Judy Hampe at (503) 370-6791 for more information.
Translating Law into Business...and Business Into Law
- Strengthen the attorney-client relationship by speaking the same language, no matter what practice area
- Help clients know when to ask for legal advice
- Satisfy CLE requirements (Oregon and Washington CLEs available)
- Eight, one-day sessions taken selectively or together for a complete Certificate
(note: Attorneys practicing as in-house council do not have to enroll in the last segment to earn certificate)
Associates and new partners learn to:
- Evaluate the quality of potential clients
- Build basic knowledge to increase available client time
- Help the firm make its business decisions efficiently and amicably
In-house attorneys learn to:
- Ground their legal advice in their company's strategy
- Build basic knowledge to increase their productivity
- Work with outside counsel
Are you a law firm looking to attract and retain talented associates or develop future partners and practice leaders? Are you a general counsel who wants to provide relevant and immediately applicable professional development opportunities for your staff? Are you a legal professional eager to expand your knowledge to better advise clients with business challenges that raise legal issues?
The Certificate in Business Lawyering (CBL) program offers a structured approach to business that provides the tools, resources and concepts to increase an attorney's value and productivity. Become a better lawyer by thinking about business issues the way business decision-makers think about them. Prepare to be a partner or general counsel by building your expertise in the business side of your profession.
Join the following CBL Lead Organizations participating in the program:
- Schwabe, Williamson and Wyatt
- Sussman Shank LLP
- Sherman, Sherman, Johnnie & Hoyt LLP
- Ater Wynne LLP
Who Should Attend?
- Associates and new partners, both transactional and litigators, who work under the supervision of a senior partner for clients whose business decisions raise legal issues. This includes attorneys working in trust and estates, real estate, land use, environmental law, etc. The program can also be valuable for current or candidates to become head of a practice area within the firm.
- In-house attorneys without significant prior experience in business who are relatively new to the company and who are learning to apply their legal expertise in service of targeted business objectives.
The Certificate in Business Lawyering consists of eight, day-long sessions delivered over eight months where participants can earn a certificate of completion and up to 55 CLEs in Oregon (including ethics and practical skills CLE's that can be converted to General CLE's; WBA CLE's subject to approval) and 46.75 CLEs in Washington.
The program repeats annually. If the organization purchases a seat in the program and selects a participant, another participant may substitute for individual sessions should work demands require a participant to complete the program in the next cycle. Each class session presents a unique topic and can be completed in any order. The organization may also purchase seats in selected sessions.
Programs may be taken as individual segments or together to earn the certificate.
Government attorneys, sole practitioners, and practitioners from small firms (such as, members of the SSFP section of the Oregon Bar) receive 10% off the open rate registration price. Willamette University alumni receive 20% off the open rate registration price.
Willamette University Portland Center - 1120 NW Couch Street, Suite 450, Portland, Oregon [MAP]
Validated parking is available for program participants not staying at a hotel. Staff at Willamette University's Portland Center will stamp your ticket from the parking garage located under the Brewery Blocks (City Center Parking). The garage has two entrances: NW 12th and NW 13th Avenues, between Couch & Davis. Both entrances are connected to the same parking facilities. Tip: If you enter the garage through the entrance on 12th, after you pass the booth/gate, turn right and go straight ahead all the way to the end and you will see an elevator on your right. That elevator takes you directly to 1120 NW Couch.
Parking Garage Hours ( 13th Ave Entrance)
- Sunday through Thursday: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 7:00 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Parking Garage Hours ( 12th Ave Entrance - BB4)
- Sunday through Thursday: 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
The NW 12th Ave. garage entrance closes daily at 10 p.m. The only after hours exit is through the NW 13th Ave. entrance.