Leadership and Management for Attorneys in Business
Become indispensible to your organization with Willamette University's unique program for attorneys in business.
Are you a general counsel who wants to provide relevant and immediately applicable professional development opportunities for your staff? Are you an associate general counsel new to your position looking to expand your knowledge? Are you a specialist attorney who wants to be seen as a problem-solving rather than an obstacle?
The Leadership and Management for Attorneys in Business program offers a structured approach to business that provides the tools, resources and concepts to increase the value and productivity of any attorney working within a company. You'll become a better lawyer and leader in your organization by understanding and thinking about business issues the way business decision-makers think about them.
What Participants Will Learn:
- Create individualized development goals based on 360 feedback*, organizational culture, and leadership style
- Add value by giving legal advice that enables business goals
- Manage projects to implement business strategy
- Understand the impact of legal advice on financial results
- Develop successful internal communication strategies
Who Should Attend?
- Associate general counsels without significant prior experience in business who are learning to apply their legal expertise in service of business objectives.
- General counsels expected to manage an office as well as be a member of an executive team.
- Legal specialists who aspire to become a generalist or who want their legal advice to be seen as adding value.
The program is delivered in an interactive learning format, May 5-9, 2013, at Willamette University's Portland, Oregon Center (opening dinner and panel on May 5; 9:00am-5:00pm each day, except Thursday departure at 4:00pm).
The program fee includes the opening dinner, lunches each day, course materials and parking. Lodging near Willamette University's Portland Center will be available (lodging and fees not included). Approved for Oregon and Washington CLEs. We reserve the right to cancel this session if enrollment does meet minimums.
Participants receive 6 months of leadership coaching upon completing the program.
*Participants complete a 360-degree evaluation program (administered by the Atkinson School with assistance from the participant's supervisor). The survey includes colleagues, reports and supervisors prior to the first session to guide the discussion and focus on strengths and weaknesses.