The Human Resources area of interest provides the strategic and technical tools needed to effectively manage human resource processes and procedures within an organization. Study groups are formed each year to prepare for the PHR (Professional in Human Resource Management) and GPHR (Global Professional in Human Resource Management) certification exams.
Experiential HR courses apply knowledge to real world client projects and offer valuable, resume-building skills. In the past year, the “Global HR Challenges” course developed in-depth HR and performance management consulting reports for large corporations and international not-for-profits.
HR students also benefit from the professional, leadership and networking opportunities available through participation in our student chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), and from the ability to take courses in employment law, etc. from the Willamette University College of Law as part of their MBA elective coursework.
Job titles of alumni in human resource careers include human resource director, training and development manager, compensation analyst, personnel analyst, labor relations specialist, recruiting manager, and human resources consultant.
The elective courses listed below are recommended for students interested in Human Resources. Students may select courses from the list and from other areas of interest to build a customized individual program that meets their specific goals.
Elective courses in each area of interest are offered every year. It is possible that a specific course may not be offered in a given year and that previous courses will be replaced by new courses. Current and recent course schedules are available at http://www.willamette.edu/mba/for_students/full_time/course_schedules/index.html
Recommended Elective Courses
- GSM 6211 - Managing Organizational Change
- GSM 6215 - Compensation and Rewards
- GSM 6218 - Global Human Resource Management
- GSM 6236 - HR Principles and Practice
- GSM 6248 - Creating Competitive Advantage Through Human Resource Development
- GSM 6249 - Project Management
- GSM 6256 - Global Strategic Alliances
- GSM 6268 - Leadership
- GSM 6274 - Experiential HR Management in the Public & Not-for-Profit Sector
- GSM 6278 - Experiential Global HR
- GSM 6286 - Negotiation
- GSM 7251 - Internship
Courses to Consider from the College of Law
- LAW 205 - Labor Law
- LAW 209 - Workers' Compensation
- LAW 239 - Employment Law and Discrimination