MBA Student Handbook - Requests for ExceptionsRequests for Exceptions to Academic Policies or Procedures
Students requesting an exception to academic policies or procedures must submit a written request and rationale for the request. The proposal should be directed to the Associate Dean/Director of Admission (email firstname.lastname@example.org) who will confer with Madhu Rao, Senior Associate Dean for a decision. The following are required of all written proposals.
- The student must explain the request in detail
- The student must provide information about any discussion or tentative agreements that may have occurred between the student and a faculty member (if any)
- If a tentative agreement has already been made with a faculty member, the student must provide the signature of the faculty member involved or the faculty member must send an email directly to the Associate Dean/Director of Admission discussing their level of support for the proposal and any other comments or suggestions
- The student must state a clear rationale for the request as to why it is the best alternative for their educational and career goals
If the proposal is not approved, the Associate Dean/Director of Admission will notify the student via email.
If the proposal is tentatively approved, the student must complete an interview (in person or on the telephone) with the Associate Dean/Director of Admission to discuss the implications and regulations governing the requested exception and any future implications of the exception.
Following the interview, the student must sign in writing that they understand and accept the exception that has been made and the conditions and regulations governing the exception. The signature is required for the exception to be implemented. Failure to provide a written statement accepting the conditions and regulations governing an exception voids any tentatively approved exception to policy or procedures.
Students should note that the following basic requirements of the MBA degree are never modified:
- Satisfactory completion of the minimum number of credits required for graduation
- Satisfactory completion of required courses (or substitute courses approved by the Senior Associate Dean)
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 in Willamette MBA course work