Football | Wednesday, May 7, 2003
Lind Schaecher, Ecklund named WU athletes of the year
SALEM — Jenny Lind Schaecher (*Gr., Laguna Creek HS, Elk Grove, Calif.) and Drew Ecklund (Sr., San Luis Obispo HS, Calif.) were named Willamette University’s athletes of the year during the second annual Athletic Awards Program Saturday night in Cone Field House.
Lind Schaecher, who was named to the first-team All-America squad in rowing in 2001, was named the recipient of the Jean Williams Outstanding Woman Athlete of the Year award.
Ecklund, a standout on the football and baseball fields, was the recipient of the J.H. Booth Outstanding Male Athlete of the Year award.
The following is a list of their accomplishments.
Jenny Lind Schaecher
• One of 11 named to the NCAA Division II/III Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) All-America first team in 2001
• Undefeated in pairs rowing in 2001
• One of seven women's rowers to be named to the Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) National Scholar-Athlete team in 2002. (The Bearcats tied for first for the most individuals in the nation.)
• Owns the best women's erg times in Willamette history for 2K and 5K
• Competes on the Varsity 8 crew that has been ranked as high as 18th in the nation this year.
• First-team all-conference running back in football in 2002
• Second-team all-conference running back in football in 2000 (injured in 2001)
• Broke single-season school records for rushing (1240) and all-purpose yards (1721) in 2002 (WU finished second in the nation in rushing with a school record of 350.0 yards per game)
• Three-year starting center fielder in baseball
• Led the 2003 Bearcat baseball team to a 21-13 record and second place in the NWC (17-7). He led Willamette in batting (.381), on-base percentage (.422), hits (56), doubles (12), total bases (76), hit by pitch (10) and stolen bases (11). He finished fifth in the NWC in batting, and tied for second in hits and doubles.
* Graduate student