Track and Field | Monday, April 9, 2007
Brooke Smith is Second, Jordyn Smith is Third, after First Day of NWC Heptathlon
SALEM, ORE. -- Willamette University track and field athletes Brooke Smith (So., Idleyld Park, OR/Glide HS) and Jordyn Smith (Jr., Henderson, NV/Green Valley HS) are second and third, respectively, in the heptathlon standings following the first day of the Northwest Conference Multi-Event Championships, hosted by the Bearcats on Monday, April 9 at the Charles Bowles Track. In the decathlon, Willamette's Grant Piros (So., Newberg, OR/Newberg HS) reached the midway point in sixth place, with his strongest events, the 110-meter hurdles and the javelin, scheduled for the second day.
Kristen Dormaier of Whitworth held first place in the heptathlon after Monday's four events. Her overall score was 2,480 points. Brooke Smith was next with 2,392 points, followed by Jordyn Smith at 2,332. Also above the 2,300-point level were Caitlin McGrane from the University of Puget Sound at 2,330 and Brooke Barker from Pacific University at 2,319. A total of 12 athletes were entered in the heptathlon.
Linfield held the first two spot in the decathlon at the end of five events. Josh Lovell was the overall leader with 3,568 points. Jeremy Lovell was second with 3,400 points. Benjamin Spaun of Whitworth held third place at 3,362. Ryan Forbes from George Fox was fourth at 3,334, Jared Forell of Linfield was fifth at 3,080 and Piros was sixth at 3,017. A total of 12 athletes started the decathlon, but Jeff Rockenbrant of Pacific Lutheran had to pull out after the 100 hard dash due to an injury.
The final day of the NWC Multi-Event Championships is scheduled for Tuesday, April 10. The final five decathlon events (100-meter hurdles, discus throw, pole vault, javelin throw, 1,500-meter run) will be held, along with the final three events in the heptathlon (long jump, javelin throw, 800-meter run).
Event winners for the men on Day #1 were Josh Lovell in the long jump and the high jump, Spaun in the shot put and the 400-meter dash, and Jeremy Lovell in the 100-yard dash. Winners of events in the heptathlon included Brooke Smith in the high jump, McGrane in the 100-meter hurdles, Barker in the shot put and the 200-meter dash, and Kaila Lemerande of Linfield in the high jump.
NWC Multi-Event Championships - First Day Event Results
Decathlon - Overall Results after Five Events
1. Josh Lovell (Linfield) 3,568 points
2. Jeremy Lovell (Linfield) 3,400
3. Benjamin Spaun (Whitworth) 3,362
4. Ryan Forbes (George Fox) 3,334
5. Jared Forell (Linfield) 3,080
6. Grant Piros (Willamette) 3,017
7. Branden Carpenter (Linfield) 2,971
8. Gabe Haberly (Linfield) 2,757
9. James Hosford (George Fox) 2,726
10. Curtis Powell (Whitworth) 2,698
11. Matthew Perry (Whitworth) 2,635
DNF - Jeff Rockenbrant (1 event, withdrew due to injury)
Heptathlon - Overall Results after Four Events
1. Kristen Dormaier (Whitworth) 2,480 points
2. Brooke Smith (Willamette) 2,392
3. Jordyn Smith (Willamette) 2,332
4. Caitlin McGrane (Puget Sound) 2,330
5. Brooke Barker (Pacific) 2,319
6. Laura Sibley (Linfield) 2,227
7. Kaila Lemerande (Linfield) 2,217
8. Terah Laack (George Fox) 2,173
9. Suzy Viducich (Whitworth) 1,897
10. Julia Scheele (Linfield) 1,723
11. Tasha Tolzmann (Linfield) 1,693
12. Rebecca Lewis (Pacific Lutheran) 1,303