Men's Golf | Sunday, April 22, 2007
Willamette in Fifth Place after 36 Holes at NWC Championship
BLUE RIVER, ORE. -- Willamette University was in fifth place with a team score 614 following the first two rounds of the Northwest Conference Men's Golf Championship on Sunday, April 22 at Tokatee Golf Club. Whitworth College held first place with a two-round score of 575. The tournament concludes with 18 holes on Monday, April 23, starting at 8 a.m. (PDT).
The Bearcats' top individual on the first day of action was Martin Kraal (Sr., Springfield, OR/Springfield HS), who cared a 74-73--147 for sixth place in the standings, just one stroke out of a three-way tie for third. Steven Johnson of Whitworth and Brian Misterek of Pacific Lutheran University were tied for the lead at 142. Johnson shot 69-73, while Misterek carded 75-67. Misterek's 67 was the low round on the first day.
Following Kraal on Willamette's list of scores was Shane Adversalo (Fr., Honolulu, HI/The University Laboratory School) at 151 (75-76). Ben Bryant (So., Albany, OR/West Albany HS) shot a 156 (82-74), while Dave Bennett (Jr., Coos Bay, OR/Marshfield HS) carded a 162 (81-81). Grant Leslie (Fr., Bainbridge Island, WA/Bainbridge HS) recorded a 165 (80-85) and Tyler Robinson (Jr., Salem, OR/Umpqua Valley Christian School) shot a 172 (90-82).
The NWC Golf Championship counts for one-half of the points in the final NWC standings. Following the NWC Fall Classic and the NWC Spring Classic, each worth one-fourth of the total points in the final standings, Willamette was in sixth place. Points are awarded according to team finish at each of the three tournaments, with no points given to teams that do not participate or are unable to field complete squads.
Northwest Conference Championship
First Round Results
Sunday, April 22, 2007
At Tokatee Golf Club, Blue River, Ore.
Team scores (36 holes):
1. Whitworth College 575 (292-283)
2. Pacific Lutheran University 589 (301-288)
3. Linfield College 597 (304-293)
4. Pacific University 601 (302-299)
5. Willamette University 614 (310-304)
6. University of Puget Sound 618 (321-297)
7. Whitman College 639 (329-310)
8. Lewis & Clark College 659 (334-325)
Individual Leaders (36 holes):
1. (tie) Steven Johnson, Whitworth, 142 (69-73)
1. (tie) Brian Misterek, Pacific Lutheran, 142 (75-67)
3. (tie) Andrew Fitch, Linfield 146 (72-74)
3. (tie) Jordan Carter, Whitworth 146 (76-70)
3. (tie) Patrick Dorsing, Whitworth 146 (76-70)
6. Martin Kraal, Willamette 147 (74-73)