Oregon Tech Downs Willamette, 74-63, to Win Title at Flagship Inn Classic

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

ASHLAND, ORE. -- Jguwon Hogges and Ryan Fiegi each scored 24 points and hit a combined 18 of 29 field goals, leading Oregon Institute of Technology past Willamette University, 74-63, in the second round of the Flagship Inn Classic, Saturday, Nov. 24 in Ashland, Ore. The Hustlin' Owls won the tournament title with a 2-0 record and improved to 8-1 on the season. Willamette completed the tournament at 1-1, while falling to 2-2 overall.

Willamette held a 39-34 lead at halftime, but the Owls outscored the Bearcats 40-24 in the second half. OIT recorded the first seven points of the second period to begin a 9-2 run. The Owls took a 43-41 lead with 17:26 remaining, when Fiegi connected on a jump shot. Fiegi's basket also opened a 14-0 run by Oregon Tech for a 55-41 lead at the 12:25 mark.

The Bearcats used a 9-2 offensive surge to pull within 57-50 with 10:24 to go. All nine of WU's points during the run were scored on three-pointers, as Simon Currie (Jr., Wing/Post, Bend, OR/Mountain View HS) hit two long-range shots and Kyler McClary (Jr., Post, Hillsboro, OR/Glencoe HS) added the third.

Oregon Tech killed the momentum by earning the next four point, on a jumper by Hogges and a layup by Fiegi. WU got within seven points at 63-56 on another three-pointer by Currie with 7:28 to go.

Fiegi scored on a jump shot and was fouled with 5:46 remaining. He converted the free throw, giving OIT a 66-56 advantage.

McClary (Jr., Post, Hillsboro, OR/Glencoe HS) led the Bearcats with 19 points. Currie tallied a career-high 14 points and was 4 of 6 on field goals, all from 3-point range. McClary and Cameron Mitchell (So., Post, Portland, OR/Grant HS/U. of Redlands) hauled down seven boards apiece. Robbie Kunke (Fr., PG, Temecula, CA/Temecula HS) led all players with six assists.

The Bearcats were 9 for 9 at the free throw line. They have converted 78.8% of their free throws this season by sinking 52 of 66 attempts.

Willamette hit 10 of 26 three-pointers (38.5%) against OIT, but shot just 34.4% (22 of 64) overall and only 22.9% (8 of 35) in the second half (6 of 18 on threes). OIT connected on 53.6% of its shots during the final 20 minutes (15 of 28) and finished the game at 45.2% (28 of 62).

For OIT, Hogges was 8 of 13 from the field and 6 of 9 at the free throw line. Fiegi went 10 of 16 on field goals and made 3 of 5 free throws. Hogges also added a game-high 11 rebounds, while Fiegi provided the Owls with five assists.

Myles Daley contributed 10 points and six rebounds for the Owls. Oregon Tech earned a 43-32 rebounding edge and blocked three shots.

Oregon Tech led 8-2 just 2:24 into the game, but WU countered with a 6-0 run to tie the score. The game also was tied at 10-10, before OIT launched a 7-0 run for a 17-10 advantage, only to have WU respond with a 7-0 run of its own. At the end of the half, WU used a 5-0 run to achieve its 39-34 halftime lead.

The first half featured five ties and seven lead changes. Fiegi scored 10 points in the first half for Oregon Tech. McClary registered 13 points in the first half for Willamette.

Willamette plays again on Friday, Nov. 30 at the University of La Verne. Game time in La Verne, Calif., is set for 7:30 p.m. (PST).

Oregon Institute of Technology 74, Willamette University 63
Kyler McClary scored 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds against Oregon Tech.

Kyler McClary scored 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds against Oregon Tech.