Bearcats Edge Warriors, 1-0, in Crosstown Soccer Rivalry

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

SALEM, ORE. -- Freshman forward Erik Kaufman (Portland, OR/Grant HS) scored on a tap-in at 67:44 and Willamette University held crosstown rival Corban College scoreless, as the Bearcats defeated the Warriors, 1-0, in the second round of the Capital Classic on Saturday, Aug. 30 at Sparks Field. Willamette evened its record at 1-1 on the season, while Corban fell to 1-1.

Willamette claimed the Capitol Cup, which goes to the winner of the Willamette-Corban game each season. It was the third Capitol Cup meeting between the two teams. Corban won the cup in 2006 and 2007.

The Bearcats and the Warriors played a scoreless first half, as both teams registered four shots. Corban owned a 2-1 edge in corner kicks at the intermission.

Willamette starting goalkeeper Mark Bennett (Jr., Salt Lake City, UT/West High School) recorded one save before giving way to Eben Hellekson (So., GK/MF, Honolulu, HI/University Laboratory School) at halftime. Hellekson also played well, but did not have to make a save while completing the shutout for Willamette.

Early in the second half, Corban was reduced to 10 players, when Jared Rust received his second yellow card on a foul several yards outside the penalty area. The mandatory ejection took place at 46:48, giving WU a man advantage for nearly all of the second period.

The Bearcats cashed in midway through the half with Kaufman's first collegiate goal. The play was setup by a through ball that allowed Kaufman to take possession near the top of the box.

Kaufman moved toward goal and tried to send the ball under on-rushing Corban goalie Aaron Franklin. The ball was deflected by Franklin, but Kaufman was able to reclaim possession just a few yards from goal before registering a tap-in at the left post.

Corban mounted several strong offensive possessions late in the game, but had just two shots in the second half. Willamette produced eight shots in the final 45 minutes to finish with 12 shots overall. The 'Cats limited Corban to six shots on the night.

In Saturday's early game, Justin Coughlin and Andrew Scott each scored two goals for Warner Pacific College, as the Knights defeated George Fox University, 8-2. Jon Maroni put in two goals for George Fox. WPC improved to 2-1,while GFU dropped to 0-2.

Coughlin opened the high-scoring contest with a goal from 45 yards out just over seven minutes into the match. The well-placed shot went into the right side of the goal. Just over a minute later, Davor Lukic added another goal for the Knights on a shot from 10 yards.

Maroni achieved his first goal at 22:54, pulling the Bruins within a single goal. Garrett Blizzard assisted on the play.

Warner Pacific regained a two-goal cushion on a 35-yard goal by Coughlin at 26:02. The Knights added a goal from Luis Galvan at 32:53 and held a 4-1 lead at the break.

WPC tallied four goals between 50:01 and 69:00 for an 8-1 advantage. Scott started the offensive outburst with a goal from the top left corner of the penalty area into the upper right corner of the net. He earned his second goal on an 18-yard shot to complete Warner's scoring.

Maroni netted his second goal for GFU at 86:55. He shot from 15 yards after receiving a pass from Bret Hamilton, who registered an assist.

The Knights attained a 22-7 edge in total shots and owned an 11-5 lead in corner kicks. Ten of Warner Pacific's shots were on goal, compared to three shots on goal for the Bruins.

Willamette will play again on Saturday, Sept. 6 at Pomona-Pitzer. Game time in Pomona, Calif., is scheduled for 11 a.m. (PDT).


Willamette University 1, Corban College 0


Warner Pacific College 8, George Fox University 2

Erik Kaufman scored the only goal of the game in WU's victory over Corban.

Erik Kaufman scored the only goal of the game in WU's victory over Corban.