Track and Field | Friday, April 17, 2009
Willamette Men are Ranked #2, Bearcat Women are #15, in NCAA Division III Power Rankings
SALEM, ORE. -- The Willamette University track and field teams are listed among the top teams in the nation in this week's NCAA Division III Track and Field Team Power Rankings, sponsored by the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA). Willamette's men are ranked #2 and trail only top-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The Bearcat women's team is ranked #15.
Claremont-Mudd-Scripps is ranked #1 in the NCAA Division III Men's Power Rankings with 206.11 points. Willamette is second with 198.60. North Central College (Ill.) is third with 196.71 points and Augustana College (Ill.) is #4 with 190.90 points. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is ranked #5 with 190.75 points.
The top team in the NCAA Division III Women's Power Rankings is the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse with 177.60 points. Washington University (Mo.) is #2 with 175.30 points and Illinois Wesleyan University is #3 with 165.91 points. The University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh is ranked #4 with 164.34 points, while Augustana (Ill.) is #5 at 163.17.
Each team's point total is the sum of points awarded in each event. A team selects up to two athletes per event, with each athlete counting in a maximum of three events, excluding relays. Only one relay team is selected in each relay event. Points are based on the best marks in each event this season.
The Willamette men's team has four athletes who have recorded a total of five NCAA provisional qualifying marks:
* Kyle Kotaich (Jr., Florence, OR/Siuslaw HS) in the 1,500-meter run at 3:54.79
* Jacob Monroe (Sr., Keizer, OR/McNary HS) in the hammer throw at 176'0"
* Brandt Nevin (So., Eagle Point, OR/Eagle Point HS) in the javelin at 194'2"
* Grant Piros (Sr., Newberg, OR/Newberg HS) in the javelin at 202'9" and in the decathlon at 6,149 points.
Five athletes on the Bearcat women's team have achieved a total of seven NCAA provisional qualifying results:
* Maddie Coffman (Jr., Boise, ID/Boise HS) in the 5,000-meter run at 17:02.33
* Kimber Mattox (Fr., Bend, OR/Bend HS/Cornell Univ.) in the 1,500-meter run at 4:38.67, in the 5,000-meter run at 17:32.31 and in the steeplechase at 10:49.67
* Katie Peterson (So., Independence, OR/Central HS) in the javelin at 133'3"
* Brooke Smith (Sr., Idleyld Park, OR/Glide HS) in the heptathlon at 4,275 points
* Jena Winger (Sr., Bonney Lake, WA/Sumner HS) in the 5,000-meter run at 17:16.40.
Willamette's next competition will be the Northwest Conference Championships in Forest Grove, Ore., on Friday, April 24 and Saturday, April 25. Action is scheduled to get underway each 2:30 p.m. (PDT) on Friday and at 10 a.m. on Saturday.