Men's Basketball | Thursday, November 26, 2009
Bearcat Hoop Game Night: Flagship Inn Invitational
ASHLAND, ORE. -- The Willamette University men's basketball team, 1-1 on the season, hits the road this weekend to compete in the Flagship Inn Invitational, hosted by Southern Oregon University. On Friday, Nov. 27, the Bearcats will battle Oregon Institute of Technology at 5:30 p.m. (PST). On Saturday, Nov. 28, WU will take on Southern Oregon, with tip-off set for 7:30 p.m. (PST).
In other tournament action on Friday, SOU will play William Jessup University (Calif.) at 7:30 p.m. On Saturday at 5:30 p.m., Oregon Tech will compete against Willam Jessup.
Southern Oregon will be providing free Live Video (choose Southern Oregon from the drop down menu, then click on Find Games) and Live Stats for all of the tournament games, plus Live Audio for the games involving SOU. If you have difficulty reaching any of the Live pages directly, you can go to the SOU Multimedia page.
Last Week's Games
Willamette split the first two games of the season, with both contests played at Cone Field House. In the season opener, the Bearcats held a 19-14 lead over Menlo College with 12:04 left in the first half, but trailed 38-33 at halftime. Menlo pulled away in the second half for a 95-72 victory.
The Bearcats were led by Cameron Mitchell (Sr., Post, Portland, OR/Grant HS/U. of Redlands) with 22 points and 13 rebounds. Ryan Meehan (So., Wing, Beaverton, OR/Beaverton HS/MSU-Billings) added 15 points and 7 boards, while Taylor Mounts (So., Post, Kailua, HI/Iolani School) tacked on 12 points.
Menlo was paced by Julian Harris, who earned 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists. Tim Kees scored 15 points for the Oaks. Nick McCullar tallied 14 points and led Menlo with nine rebounds.
In the second game of the weekend, Willamette defeated Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 94-86. Freshman guard Terrell Malley (Portland, OR/Roosevelt HS) scored 24 points and made 13 of 15 free throws to lead the way.
Mounts and Marcus Holmes (Jr., G, Seattle, WA/Garfield HS) each scored 17 points for the Bearcats. Mounts also grabbed seven boards and blocked five shots. Mitchell finished with 12 points and 15 rebounds.
For CMS, Chris Blees earned 32 points, 17 rebounds and five steals. Michael Bagby provided the Stags with 20 points, while Jason Toney added 10 points.
The Bearcats owned a 46-35 advantage at halftime, and led by as many as 18 points at 69-51 with 11:13 left in the game. WU held an 84-70 lead with 2:52 remaining, but had to hold off the Stags in the final minute.
CMS pulled within four points, 90-86, on a layup by Chris Blees with 35 seconds left. Mounts and Cody Pastorino (Fr., G, Glenn, CA/Willows HS) each sank two free throws for Willamette to close out the game.
This Week's Opponents
Oregon Institute of Technology
Location: Klamath Falls, Ore.
Affiliations: NAIA, Cascade Conference
2008-09 Record: 29-6
2009-10 Record: 7-1
Last Meeting: OIT won 74-63 on Nov. 27, 2007
Southern Oregon University
Location: Ashland, Ore.
Affiliations: NAIA, Cascade Conference
2008-09 Record: 9-21
2009-10 Record: 5-1
Last Meeting: WU won 95-81 on Dec. 29, 2008
Willamette's Probable Starters
Point Guard: Marcus Holmes (Jr., 5'11"),
13.0 points per game, 3.0 assists per game
Shooting Guard: Ryan Meehan (So., 6'2")
10.0 points per game, 6.0 rebounds per game
Small Forward: Robbie Kunke (Jr., 6'4")
5.5 points per game, 6.5 assists per game
Power Forward: Taylor Mounts (So., 6'5")
14.5 points per game, 8.5 rebounds per game
Center: Cameron Mitchell (Sr., 6'7")
17.0 points per game, 14.0 rebounds per game
Bearcat Fast Breaks
* Willamette sophomore Taylor Mounts was nominated for NWC Student-Athlete of the Week this past weekend after averaging 14.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocked shots per game.
* The NWC is a combined 1-7 against the Cascade Collegiate Conference. The CCC includes both of Willamette's opponents this weekend: Oregon Tech and Southern Oregon.
* Terrell Malley of Willamette became the first WU freshman since Danny Nugent in 2006-07 to lead the Bearcats in scoring in a game. Malley earned 24 points in 25 minutes played against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Nov. 21.
* WU's victory over CMS snapped a two-game losing streak to the Stags.
* Cameron Mitchell opened the season with back-to-back double-doubles in points and rebounds. He recorded 22 points and 13 rebounds against Menlo, then earned 12 points and 15 boards against CMS.
* Current WU Assistant Coach Josh Erickson was a member of the last Willamette teams to defeat both Oregon Tech (in 2005-06) and Southern Oregon (in 2008-09).