George Fox Downs Bearcats, 87-74

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

NEWBERG, ORE. -- George Fox University used a 15-2 run during a 3:26 span in the second half to extend a 10-point lead, and the Bruins went on to defeat Willamette University, 87-74, in a Northwest Conference game on Friday, Jan. 15. GFU upped its record to 6-8 overall, 3-2 in the NWC. Willamette fell to 3-12, 0-6 in the NWC.

Before starting the run, George Fox owned a 56-46 lead as the clock moved under the 14:00 mark. Following the run, the Bruins held a 71-48 advantage with 10:32 remaining.

GFU was led by Rich Smith, who scored 21 points on 10 of 16 shooting. Jack Martin provided 11 points and six rebounds, while Stephen Wiseley and Cole Whitehurst each scored 10 points. Wiseley also topped the Bruins with nine assists. Alex Stockner provided GFU with a team-high eight rebounds.

Cameron Mitchell (Sr., Post, Portland, OR/Grant HS/U. of Redlands) was WU's leading scorer with 26 points. He connected on 10 of 13 field goals and 5 of 6 free throws.

Willamette received 21 points from Terrell Malley (Fr., G, Portland, OR/Roosevelt HS), who also earned five rebounds and two assists. During one stretch -- between the 8:30 and 2:45 marks of the second half -- he scored 12 points in a row for the Bearcats.

Taylor Mounts (So., Post, Kailua, HI/Iolani School) added 13 points for WU. Mounts and Mitchell each grabbed 10 rebounds for the Bearcats. Willamette achieved a 43-31 rebounding edge.

The Bruins and the Bearcats exchanged baskets in the early going, with six ties and five lead changes in the first nine minutes. After Malley scored on a driving layup with 11:19 left in the half the teams were tied, 17-17.

George Fox scored the next eight points to built a 25-17 lead with 8:03 on the clock. The run ended with back-to-back 3-pointers by Jack Martin.

WU responded with a 7-0 run. Mitchell scored on a seven points on a long two-point jump shot, a 3-pointer and a layup on a fast break. GFU's lead was cut to 25-24 with 6:54 left in the period.

The Bruins tallied the next four points and led the rest of the half. George Fox used a 9-2 run at the end of the half to build a 42-33 halftime advantage.

Mitchell kept Willamette within striking distance by scoring eight of the Bearcats' first 13 points of the second half. Even so, WU trailed 56-46 following a rebound and layup by Mitchell with 14:13 to go.

After falling behind 71-48, the Bearcats went on a 9-0 run to cut the lead to 14 points. Malley scored five points during the run, including two free throws to complete the offensive surge with 8:30 remaining.

George Fox slowed WU's momentum with a 3-pointer by Dan Lingenfelder at the 7:52 mark. WU got as close as 74-61 on a driving layup by Malley with 6:17 left, but couldn't get closer.

The Bruins shot 49.2% (32 of 65) during the game, including 51.6% (16 of 31) in the second half. GFU made 9 of 30 three-pointers (30.0%). Willamette connected on 41.5% of its field goal attempts (27 of 65), including 4 of 17 three-point attempts.

Both teams excelled at the foul line. Willamette converted 16 of 19 free throws (84.2%), while George Fox made 14 of 16 charity shots (87.5%).

The Bearcats do not play again until Friday, Jan. 22, when they will host Pacific Lutheran University in Salem, Ore. Game time at Cone Field House is set for 8 p.m. (PST).

George Fox University 87
Willamette University 74
Terrell Malley scored 21 points against George Fox, finishing three points from his season high of 24 against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.

Terrell Malley scored 21 points against George Fox, finishing three points from his season high of 24 against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps.