Whitworth Scores in Third Minute, Holds Off Bearcats for 1-0 Win

Hellekson Registers Five Saves for Willamette

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

SALEM, ORE. -- Whitworth University scored in the third minute and didn't score again, but the Pirates fended off Willamette University's comeback efforts in the second half to win a Northwest Conference men's soccer game, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 3. With the win, the Pirates improved to 7-2-1 on the season and to 4-1-1 in the NWC. Willamette slipped to 3-6-2 overall, 1-4-1 in the NWC.

Andrew French of Whitworth scored the game's only goal at 2:51 on a 10-yard shot from the right side into the lower left corner of the net. Kekoa Mountcastle, who set up the goal with a through pass, received an assist.

Whitworth kept control of the ball for most of the first half. The Pirates held a 7-1 edge in total shots at halftime.

The Bearcats gradually gained more possession late in the half and continued to battle throughout the second half. Whitworth continued to control the ball for a majority of the time and had more quality chances over the final 45 minutes. Even so, Willamette created a couple of great chances to tie the game.

Willamette received its first great scoring opportunity at 75:24, when Whitworth goalkeeper Kyle Novak fouled Bearcat midfielder Brandon Shiluk (Fr., Castro Valley, CA/Castro Valley HS) in the penalty box. Brendan Dineen (Jr., D, Portland, OR/Grant HS) took the ensuing penalty kick. His shot hit the right post and went out of play.

WU had another quality chance to equalize the score at 83:30, when Loftin Langsdorf (So., MF, Vancouver, WA/Columbia River HS) received a pass about 12 yards out and to the left of the goal. Langsdorf took a first-time shot, but his attempt went wide of the goal.

Eben Hellekson (Sr., Honolulu, HI/University Laboratory School), Willamette's goalie, played all 90 minutes and kept the Bearcats in the game with five saves, including four saves in the second half. Hellekson's save on a shot by Will Wren at 87:51 prevented Whitworth from scoring on the final shot for either team.

Novak made two saves for the Pirates. Both of his saves were in the second half, when Willamette outshot Whitworth, 8-7. For the game, the Pirates owned a 14-9 edge in shots, including an 8-2 advantage in shots on goal. Whitworth claimed a 7-1 margin in corner kick.

The second half included four yellow cards. Tom Farr (Jr., D, Seattle, WA/Ballard HS) of Willamette was carded in the 65th minute, while Kevin Martin (Fr., D, Cardiff, CA/Francis Parker HS) received a yellow for the Bearcats in the 73rd minute. Novak of Whitworth was given a yellow at 75:24 on the foul resulting in the penalty kick. Shiluk of Willamette was called for a yellow in the 78th minute.

Willamette will conclude a five-game homestand on Saturday, Oct. 9 against nearby rival Linfield College. Game time at Sparks Field is schedule for 7 p.m. (PDT).

Whitworth University 1
Willamette University 0
Loftin Langsdorf took three shots in the second half for the Bearcats.

Loftin Langsdorf took three shots in the second half for the Bearcats.