Kaufman Scores in First Minute, as Bearcats Tie Eagles, 1-1

Zuniga Makes Seven Saves; Willamette is 1-0-1 on the Season

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

KIRKLAND, WASH. -- Willamette University and Northwest University (Wash.) battled to a 1-1 tie on Saturday, Sept. 3 at the NU Athletic Field. The Bearcats scored early in the contest, while Northwest tallied a late goal to force the tie. The teams did not play overtime.

When the 90 minutes ended, Willamette owned 1-0-1 record through its first two games of the season. Northwest tied its second consecutive game and went to 0-0-2.

Erik Kaufman (Jr., F, Portland, OR/Grant HS) scored for Willamette just 49 seconds into the match on a chip over the goalie from 12 yards out. It was Kaufman's second goal in as many games this season. Robin Hryciuk (So., D, Snohomish, WA/Glacier Peak HS) registered an assist on the play.

Northwest did not score the equalizer until the 81:49 mark, when Joel Pelton put in a shot from 10 yards out. Nickey Ricks earned an assist.

WU goalie Alfredo Zuniga (Sr., GK, Salem, OR/South Salem HS) registered seven saves for Willamette, as his record moved to 1-0-1. He has amassed 13 saves in WU's first two games. Joe Galbraith made four saves for Northwest.

The Eagles outshot Willamette, 18-12, but placed just eight of the shots on goal. Willamette earned five shots on goal. The goal scorers for each team led the way, as Pelton fired five shots with four on goal and Kaufman blasted four shots with three on goal. Edgar Esquivel of Northwest also took four shots.

Both teams achieved seven corner kicks. Northwest took four of its corners in the first half, while WU attained four corners in the second half.

Willamette will return to action on Thursday, Sept. 8, when the Bearcats host crosstown rival Chemeketa Community College in an exhibition game at Sparks Field. Game time in Salem, Ore., is scheduled for 7 p.m. (PDT).


Willamette University 1
Northwest University 1

Erik Kaufman sent a shot into the net 49 seconds into the game.

Erik Kaufman sent a shot into the net 49 seconds into the game.