Zuniga Saves Penalty with Three Seconds Left, as Bearcats Defeat Bruins, 3-2

Vazquez, McGrew and Kaufman Earn Goals for Bearcats

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

NEWBERG, ORE. -- Senior goalkeeper Alfredo Zuniga (Salem, OR/South Salem HS) saved a penalty kick with three seconds left, preserving a 3-2 victory for Willamette University over George Fox University on Saturday, Oct. 15 at the Austin Sports Complex. WU evened its record at 5-5-1 overall, 4-4 in the Northwest Conference. GFU moved to 2-9-1 on the season, 0-7-1 in the NWC.

Willamette scored just 3:28 into the game on a goal by Adan Vazquez (So., F, Woodburn, OR/Woodburn HS). Vazquez shot from five yards out and sent the ball into the left corner of the goal. Brendan Dineen (Sr., D, Portland, OR/Grant HS) assisted on the play.

George Fox tied the game when Luke Hammer scored at 36:31 on a 5-yard shot after receiving a crossing pass from the left side by Brennan Altringer. The play began with Michael Graham sending a long ball to Altringer from near midfield. Altringer and Graham were credited with assists.

The score was still 1-1 at halftime, but Willamette eventually surged out to a 3-1 lead.

Mike McGrew (Jr., MF, Portland, OR/Grant HS) broke the tie for the Bearcats by converting a penalty kick at 71:58. McGrew's penalty shot went into the left corner of the net.

WU's third goal was scored from near midfield by Erik Kaufman (Jr., F, Portland, OR/Grant HS). The Burins' goalie, Elliott Davis, went out about 30 yards to clear the ball with many of GFU's players pushed forward. Davis sent the ball toward the sideline, but Kaufman reached it in-bounds several yards into WU's attacking half of the field. Kaufman lofted the ball into the net from about 50 yards out at 83:44.

The Bruins answered less than four minutes later at 87:34, when Hammer tallied his second goal of the game from five yards out. George Fox had a chance to tie the game with the last-second penalty kick.

A lengthy pass by GFU bounced in the Willamette penalty area with less than 10 seconds left. Zuniga rushed out to reduce the angle. Zuniga and the attacker collided just after the GFU player touched the ball, sending it wide of the goal. A penalty kick was awarded. Myles Sorokovsky took the kick, but Zuniga made a diving save and the clock ran out.

Zuniga recorded five saves overall. Davis made 10 saves for the Bruins, including seven in he first half.

Willamette achieved a 23-16 advantage in shots, including a 13-7 margin in shots on goal. The Bearcats dominated the stats in the first half, with 12 shots compared to four by GFU. The Bruins outshot the Bearcats, 12-1, in the second half.

Vazquez and Dineen each took four shots for Willamette. Kaufman added three shots with all three shots on goal. Trevor Jensen (So., MF, Chula Vista, CA/Bonita Vista HS) and Robin Hryciuk (So., D, Snohomish, WA/Glacier Peak HS) also had three shots apiece for the Bearcats.

For George Fox, Altringer blasted five shots. Hammer took four shots and placed three of his shots on goal.

Willamette was called for 11 offsides during the game. GFU achieved a 5-4 edge in corner kicks.

The Bearcats will play at Pacific University in a Northwest Conference game on Sunday, Oct. 16. Game time in Forest Grove, Ore., is slated for 2:30 p.m. (PDT).

Willamette University 3
George Fox University 2
Mike McGrew celebrates after scoring against GFU earlier this season. In the rematch, he converted a penalty kick at 71:58 for a 2-1 lead.

Mike McGrew celebrates after scoring against GFU earlier this season. In the rematch, he converted a penalty kick at 71:58 for a 2-1 lead.