Strong Second Day Earns Weinhold Fourth Place at NWC Fall Classic

Willamette Advances into Third Place in Team Standings

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

PORTLAND, ORE. -- Willamette University's Mckenzie Weinhold (Fr., Placerville, CA/El Dorado HS/Univ. of Nevada-Reno) shot a 78 on the second day of the Northwest Conference Women's Golf Fall Classic, as she finished in fourth place with a 36-hole score of 158. Megan McGrew from George Fox University won the individual title with an overall score of 150 during the event, which was held Oct. 22-23 on the Green Back course at the Heron Lakes Golf Course.

The team championship was earned by George Fox, as the Bruins won by 13 strokes with a combined two-day score of 625 (313-312). Whitman College took second at 638 (320-318). Willamette, which entered the second day in fourth place, moved into third place at 671, after improving from 342 in the first round to 329 over the final 18 holes.

WU moved in front of Linfield, which held a 2-stroke lead over the Bearcats after shooting 340 in the first round. The Wildcats improved by one stroke over the first day to register a score of 339, but were unable to match the 13-stroke improvement by Willamette. Linfield finished fourth at 679.

Fifth place went to Whitworth University at 681, just two shots behind Linfield. Pacific Lutheran University was sixth at 712, with Pacific University in seventh at 781 and the University of Puget Sound was eighth at 884. Lewis & Clark did not field a complete team.

McGrew led a 1-2 finish for George Fox. She carded a 74 in the first round and shot a 76 in the second round. Kelsey Morrison, her teammate, placed second overall with a two-day score of 152 (78-74). The 74 by McGrew on the first day and the 74 by Morrison on the second day tied for the low round of the tournament.

Tate Head from Whitman was third at 155 (75-80). Weinhold followed in fourth at 158 (80-78). On Sunday, she recorded a score in the 70s for the first time at the college level. Hannah Christianson of Linfield and Katie Zajicek from Whitman tied for fifth place at 159. Christianson shot 79-80, while Zajicek went 80-79.

Weinhold wasn't the only Bearcat to register a score in the 70s for the first time at Willamette. Nicole Smith (Fr., Portland, OR/Westview HS) also accomplished the feat, earning a 79 in the second round to go with an 84 in the first round. Smith tied for 10th place at 163.

All five Willamette golfers entered in the tournament lowered their scores on the second day. In addition to Weinhold and Smith, other WU golfers competing at the Fall Classic were Jenny Grauberger (Fr., Port Townsend, WA/Port Townsend HS), Lettajoe Gallup (Fr., Alameda, CA/Holy Names HS) and Mele Ana Kastner (Fr., Vancouver, WA/Columbia River HS).

Grauberger shot an 88 followed by an 85 for a two-day score of 173. Gallup carded a 90 and then added an 87 to finish at 177. Kastner reduced her score from 98 in the first round to 95 in the second round for a total score of 193.

The Fall Classic counts as 25% of the overall conference title, with the Spring Classic providing another 25% and the NWC Championship Tournament adding the final 50%.

RESULTS
NWC Fall Classic
Hosted by Willamette University
Heron Lakes Golf Course
Portland, Ore.
October 22-23, 2011
Mckenzie Weinhold shot a 78 in the second round to finish in fourth place with a 36-hole score of 158

Mckenzie Weinhold shot a 78 in the second round to finish in fourth place with a 36-hole score of 158