Puget Sound Scores Twice Early in Second Half for 2-0 Win over Bearcats

Loggers, Ranked #24, Improve to 6-1-1; Calder Earns Five Saves for Willamette

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

SALEM, ORE. -- Willamette University and Puget Sound played a scoreless first half, but the visiting Loggers earned two goals in the first nine minutes of the second half to defeat the Bearcats, 2-0, in a Northwest Conference men's soccer game on Saturday, Sept. 22.

The Loggers, ranked #24 in NCAA Division III, improved to 6-1-1 on the season, 3-0-0 in the NWC. Willamette dropped to 3-4-1 overall, 0-2-1 in the NWC. The Bearcats have gone three games without scoring since claiming a 4-0 victory over Walla Wall University on Sept. 9.

WU played without two of its top players:  midfielder Mike McGrew (Sr., Portland, OR/Grant HS), who missed the game due to injury, and defender Etienne Galbreath (Sr., Portland, OR/Grant HS), who was out following a red card in the closing seconds against Whitworth University last weekend.

Puget Sound held a slim 4-3 advantage in shots during the first half. WU goalkeeper Brayden Calder (Fr., Philomath, OR/Philomath HS) registered saves on three of the Loggers' shots. The other shot went wide of the goal.

All four of the shots by UPS were in the first 26 minutes of the half. Willamette took its three shots between the 31st and 34th minutes, but didn't force UPS goalie Chris McDonald to make a save.

The Loggers broke the 0-0 tie by scoring after a long throw-in. Sean Ryan began the play by throwing the ball into the penalty area, where Colin McIntosh flicked it onward. Andrew White headed the ball into the lower left corner of the goal at 49:20.

Just under four minutes later at 53:12, Puget Sound increased its lead to 2-0. Sam Zisette scored the goal on an unassisted play, as he sent the ball into the lower right corner of the net.

Puget Sound achieved a 6-4 advantage in shots over the final 45 minutes to gain a 10-7 margin for the game. The Loggers attained a 7-2 edge in shots on goal.

Willamette accumulated a 13-7 edge in corner kicks. The Bearcats took seven corners in the first half and added six in the second half.

Calder completed the game with five saves for the Bearcats. McDonald provided Puget Sound with two saves. Both goalies played all 90 minutes.

The Bearcats will play at home again on Sunday, Sept. 23, against NWC rival Pacific Lutheran University. The Lutes enter the game with a 4-3-1 overall record, including 3-0-0 in the NWC. Last year, the Lutes tied for first place in the conference at 12-2, with one of the losses coming against Willamette.


University of Puget Sound 2
Willamette University 0

Brayden Calder earned five saves for the Bearcats in Saturday's game.

Brayden Calder earned five saves for the Bearcats in Saturday's game.