Bearcats Capitalize on Shots in 2-1 Victory over Puget Sound

Hishmeh, Jensen Provide goals for Willamette

By John Lind, Assistant Athletics Communications Director

SALEM, ORE. – Willamette made the most of its opportunities during a Northwest Conference men’s soccer match-up against the University of Puget Sound on Sunday, Oct. 21, coming out on top 2-1 despite a late push from the Loggers.

With the win, Willamette improved its record to 8-7-1 overall and to 5-5-1 in the NWC. Puget Sound fell to 9-3-5 overall, 5-2-4 in conference play. WU remained in fourth place in the NWC standings, advancing to 16 points and staying in front of Linfield College, which improved to 5-6-0 (15 points) with a 3-1 upset of Pacific Lutheran University. Puget Sound (19 points) holds third place, three points in front of Willamette.

The Bearcats recorded only six total shots and just two shots on goal during the game, but converted both of the shots on goal. Willamette’s goals were scored by Yazan Hishmeh (Fr., F, Ventura, CA/Saint Bonaventure HS) and Trevor Jensen (Jr., MF, Chula Vista, CA/Bonita Vista HS).

The game got off to a sloppy start, with seven fouls and two offside calls during the first 20 minutes. With both sides still scoreless, Willamette’s Austin Jacobson (Fr., MF, Salem, Ore./South Salem HS) checked into the game at 21:03.

It was just minutes later that Jacobson made his presence felt. Deep on the right flank in UPS’s half of the field, Jacobson struck a cross to the back post that found Hishmeh wide open. Hishmeh converted from six yards out, putting the Bearcats ahead 1-0 at 24:39.

Willamette widened its lead early in the second half, as Jensen gained possession of a deflected ball inside the Loggers’ box and found the lower left corner of the goal to make the score 2-0 at 52:32.

The Loggers mounted an offensive attack of desperation during the final 15 minutes that resulted in four corner kicks and four shots. Puget Sound finally got on the scoreboard at 81:15, when a Logger free kick bounced errantly around the Bearcats’ box. Logger Vincent McCluskey finally put the ball into the net past Willamette 'keeper Brayden Calder (Fr., Philomath, OR/Philomath HS) to tighten the score, 2-1.

Puget Sound was unable to score again. The final scoring opportunity for UPS was a corner kick at 89:46 that results in two shots blocked off the goal line by Willamette defenders. Both shots were nullified by a foul called on the Loggers.

UPS finished the game with an 11-6 advantage in total shots and a 4-2 advantage in shots on goal. The Loggers also had 16 corner kicks to the Bearcats’ three. However, it was Willamette’s ability to capitalize on its opportunities that proved to be the difference-maker.

Jacobson, Jensen, and Hishmeh were the only Willamette players to record shots in the match, as each took two shots. Calder played all 90 minutes of the match and recorded three saves for the Bearcats.

The Bearcats next play host to conference leading Whitworth University at Sparks Field in Salem, Ore., on Saturday, Oct. 27. Game time is set for 2:30 p.m. (PDT).

Willamette University 2
University of Puget Sound 1 
Yazan Hishmeh scored the only goal of the first half to give Willamette a 1-0 halftime lead.

Yazan Hishmeh scored the only goal of the first half to give Willamette a 1-0 halftime lead.