Willamette Defeats Whitworth 3-2 in Overtime for Second Straight Year

Hishmeh Scores Twice, Yates Heads in Game-Winner with 1:24 Left in First OT

By Timothy Walsh, Athletics Communications Writer

SALEM, ORE. -- Yazan Hishmeh (So., F, Ventura, CA/Saint Bonaventure HS) scored twice and Tyler Yates (So., MF, Kailua-Kona, HI/Kealakehe HS) headed in the game-winning goal in the first overtime period, as Willamette University rallied from a 2-1 second-half deficit to defeat Whitworth University in a thrilling Northwest Conference men's soccer game at Sparks Field on Sunday, Sept. 22.

The Bearcats improved to 5-1-1 on the season, 1-0-1 in the Northwest Conference. Whitworth fell to 3-2-1 overall, 1-1-0 in the NWC. Willamette remained unbeaten at home, with a 5-0-1 record at Sparks Field this year.

Yates's game-winner came with just 1:24 left in the first overtime. Trevor Jensen (Sr., MF, Chula Vista, CA/Bonita Vista HS) picked up a loose ball near the half line, and lofted a picture-perfect pass toward Yates, who was making a run into the penalty box.

Yates let the ball bounce once, then headed over onrushing Whitworth goalkeeper Shane Nishioka-Healy and into an empty net from approximately 14 yards away.

The goal was Yates' team-high fourth of the season and was his second career goal against Whitworth. Last year, Yates netted the opener in another 3-2 overtime victory over the Pirates at Sparks Field.

This season, however, Whitworth got on the board first. Just 5:08 into the game, the Pirates' Sam Selisch collected Andrew French's low cross from the right and fired a shot past Willamette goalkeeper Braydon Calder (So., Philomath, OR/Philomath HS) and into the back of the net.

It was the first goal surrendered by Calder this season, after posted shutouts in his first five appearances.

The Bearcats had a golden chance to equalize in the 27th minute, when Whitworth's Colin Shockman committed a foul in the box. Jensen's ensuing penalty kick was low and to Nishioka-Healy's right, but the Whitworth keeper made a diving stop and pushed the ball out for a corner kick.

Willamette did finally equalize on Hishmeh's first goal of the day at 32:08. The sophomore striker received a short pass from Adan Vazquez (Sr., F., Woodburn, OR/Woodburn HS) just outside the top of the box, then placed his shot from 21 yards away just inside the left corner of the goal.

But the defending NWC champion Pirates regained the lead shortly thereafter, at 37:42, when Andrew Flint took a feed from Sam Mean inside the box and scored from 18 yards out.

Just over a minute later, however, the game's complexion changed drastically when Whitworth defender Balin Larson received a straight red card for striking the Bearcats' Stefan Wutte (Fr., MF, Dallas, Ore./West Salem HS). Wutte received a yellow card moments before on a tackle at the other end of the field.

The foul forced the Pirates to play down a man for the duration of the match, and the Bearcats took full advantage in the 69th minute when a long shot from Austin Jacobson (So., MF, Salem, Ore./South Salem HS) took a deflection off Hishmeh and went into the back of the net.

Chances were few and far between over the remaining 22 minutes of regulation and overtime until the combination of Jensen and Yates finally unlocked Whitworth's defense, sending the Bearcats' bench pouring onto the field.

Both teams played physical soccer during the game, combining for a total of 36 fouls and five yellow cards, in addition to Larson's red.

Wutte, Jacobson and Adam Lewis (Jr., MF, Corvallis, Ore./Crescent Valley HS/Pomona-Pitzer) received caution cards for Willamette. Larson received a yellow card for a foul at midfield and then got the red card as the teams set up near the Whitworth penalty area prior to the restart. Sam Engle also saw yellow for the Pirates.

The Bearcats finished with an 11-8 edge in shots, including 7-4 in shots on goal. Willamette also earned 12 corner kicks to Whitworth's three.

In addition to Calder in goal, two other Bearcats played the full 99 minutes: Lewis and Sam Gonzalez (So., D, Junction City, OR/Junction City HS). Calder, Lewis and Gonzalez also played the full 110 minutes in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Whitman, for a total of 209 minutes per player over two days.

Jacobson, Yates, and Jensen all logged 80 minutes or more for the Bearcats.

Sitting in third place after the first weekend of NWC play, Willamette travels north next weekend to play the conference's top two teams:  the University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University. The Bearcats take on the Loggers on Saturday, Sept. 28, at 2:30 p.m. (PDT), and face the Lutes on Sunday, Sept. 29, also at 2:30. Links to video webcasts and live stats provided by UPS and PLU can be found at http://www.willamette.edu/athletics.


Willamette University 3
Whitworth University 2 (OT)

Post-game Interviews

Tyler Yates scored his team-leading fourth goal -- and his second career goal against Whitworth -- to send Willamette to a 3-2 overtime win.

Tyler Yates scored his team-leading fourth goal -- and his second career goal against Whitworth -- to send Willamette to a 3-2 overtime win.