Willamette Men's Tennis Falls to Boxers, 4-3
BEAVERTON - Pacific used four wins in singles to pick up their first Northwest Conference men's tennis victory since 2001 Sunday, beating Willamette 4-3 at the Tualatin Hills Parks & Recreation Center.
Willamette is now 0-2 for the season losing their opener to Portland State. Pacific tennis player, Eric Yukumoto's (Sr., Aiea, Hawaii) tiebreaker win at No. 4 singles secured the victory, the first win in a counting match since Apr. 11, 2001.
The Bearcats were up 2-0 after taking the double's point and the No. 1 singles, but the Boxers won the next four matches to secure the match. Scott Carruthers (So., Brush Prairie, Wash.) started with his 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 2 over Shawn Mihalik and Tom Chewerda (Sr., Williston, N.D.) tied it with his 6-1, 6-0 No. 3 singles win over Jeff Garrison. Ashton Kawobo (Fr., Aiea, Hawaii) also won the No. 5 match, taking out Reid Snowden 6-2, 6-1.
PACIFIC 4, WILLAMETTE 3
1. Matt McManus (Willamette) def. Ben Judson (Pacific) 6-4, 6-4
2. Scott Carruthers (PAC) def. Shawn Mihalik (Willamette) 6-2, 7-5
3. Tom Chewerda (Pacific) def. Jeff Garrison (Willamette) 6-1, 6-0
4. Eric Yukumoto (Pacific) def. Linn Zhao (Willamette) 5-7, 6-1 (10-2)
5. Ashton Kawabo (Pacific) def. Reid Snowden (Willamette) 6-2, 6-1
6. Josh Barnett (Willamette) def. Justin Silva (PAC) 6-2, 6-2
No. 1 - McManus/Mihalik (Willamette) def. Judson/Carruthers (Pacific) 8-4
No. 2 - Yukumoto/Chewerda (Pacific) def. Garrison/Josh Barnett (Willamette) 8-3
No. 3 - Snowden/John Groat (Willamette) def. Silva/Kawabo (Pacific) 8-2