University-Based Research Centers
- Regional Research Institute for Human Services Research component of the graduate school for social work at Portland State University.
- Center for Population Research and Census Concerned with demographic research and produces official population estimates for Oregon. Portland State University. Portland, OR.
- Center for Urban Studies Emphasis in urban policy analysis and in urban and regional planning. Portland, OR.
- Institute for Portland Metropolitan Studies Service and research component of the College of Urban and Public Affairs. Portland State University, Portland OR.
- Transportation Studies Center Institute concerned with transportation planning, technology transfer, transportation and land use interactions, etc.Portland State University, Portland, OR.
- OSU Centers, Institutes, Facilities, and Programs List of and links to research institutes and centers at Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR.
- Oregon Water Resources Research Institute Concerned with the management of water resources for the state of Oregon. Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR.
- Kiewit Center for Infrastructure and Transportation Facilitates research and education in the transportation area. Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR.
- UO Research Institutes and Centers List of and links to the research institutes and centers at the University of Oregon. Eugene, OR.
- Institute for a Sustainable Environment Concerned with long-term sustainability of the earth's major environmental systems. University of Oregon, OR.
- Oregon Center for Public Policy Private, nonprofit public policy tank that assists Oregonians by expanding the debate on tax and budget policies. Silverton, OR.
- California Center for Population Research Multidisciplinary center for demographic research and graduate training. University of California. Los Angeles, CA.
- Center for Comparative Political Economy Financed by the International Studies and Overseas program at UCLA. Los Angeles, CA.
- Institute for Social Science Research Promotes interdisciplinary research on a broad spectrum of contemporary sociological, psychological, political, and economic problems and community issues. University of California. Los Angeles, CA.
- Institutes of the Environment Seeks to "address the full complexity of today's environmental problems on a local, regional, and global scale through innovative, integrative, multidisciplinary academic, research, and outreach programs." University of California. Los Angeles, CA.
- Institute of Business and Economic Research Supports research in economics and business. University of California-Berkeley, CA.
- Institute of Industrial Relations Research on labor and employment relations. University of California-Berkeley, CA.
- Institute of Transportation Studies (Berkeley) Research on transportation and related issues in California. University of California-Berkeley, CA.
- Institute of Urban and Regional Development Conducts research into processes of urban and regional growth and decline, and effects of governing policies on the patterns and processes of development. University of California-Berkeley, CA.
- Cesar E. Chavez Institute Established to create a base for academic research on critical issues facing Raza communities in California (particularly in the San Francisco bay area). San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA.
- San Francisco Urban Institute Research and action project that addresses San Francisco's most critical issues. San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA.
- Golden State Center for Policy Studies Draws on the Claremont Institute's scholarship and research for practical application to the policies of California. Claremont, CA.
- Tomas Rivera Policy Institutes (Pitzer College) Conducts and disseminates objective, policy-relevant research and its implications to decision makers on key issues affecting Latino communities. Claremont, CA and Austin, TX.
- California Institute of Public Affairs An independent, nonprofit organization that works in California and internationally and emphasizes a systematic, long-range view of public affairs that combines social, cultural, environmental, and economic concerns. Sacramento, CA.
- Rand Corporation A nonprofit organization that helps improve policy and decision-making through research and analysis. Santa Monica, CA.
- Public Policy Institute of California Private, nonprofit institute dedicated to research on California's social, political, and economic issues. San Francisco, CA.
- Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington Nonprofit, independent organization providing professional consultation, research, and information services for local governments.
- UW Labs, Centers, and Programs List of the University of Washington's labs, centers, and programs.
- APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Study Center Policy related research on regional and global issues that affect APEC countries. University of Washington, WA.
- Northwest Policy Center (UW) The policy research center was disbanded as of October 2002, but an archive or electronic publications previously available through the center can be accessed online.
- Center for Advanced Research and Study on Intellectual Property Focus on problems in patent and other property ownership rights in high tech products. University of Washington, WA.
- Center for American Politics and Public Policy Conducts academic and policy-relevant research in American politics and public policy processes. University of Washington, WA.
- Center for Labor Studies Supports research, teaching, and community outreach, all focusing on labor's contribution to society. University of Washington, WA.
- Center for Streamside Studies Provides information for the resolution of management issues related to the production and protection of forest, fish, wildlife, and water resources associated with the streams and rivers in the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington, WA.
- Center for Studies in Demography and Ecology Fosters and supports education, research, and multi-departmental scholarly interchange in demography and population stud. University of Washington, WA.
- Center on Reinventing Public Education (UW) Seeks to develop and evaluate methods of public oversight that can allow individual schools to be focused, effective, and accountable. University of Washington, WA.
- The Thomas S. Foley Institute Public policy and public service institute. Washington State University, Pullman, WA.
- Center for International Business International business environment and international business practices. Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA.
- The Evergreen State College Labor Education and Research Center Develops programs in a collaborative fashion with organized labor and labor support groups to address relevant issues to worker's unions and work lives. Olympia, WA.
- Centre for Labour Studies Will promote the study and understanding of labour, working people, and their organizations from a comprehensive social, cultural, historical, political, and economic perspective. Simon Fraser University, BC Canada.
- Institute of Governance Studies Research on issues and problems of governance—in Canada, at the municipal, regional, metropolitan, provincial, and federal levels and in comparative and international settings. Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada.
- Research at SFU: Centres and Institutes List of and links to Simon Fraser University's research centers and institutes. BC Canada.