All students who will be returning to Willamette for the Fall Semester 2019 are eligible and encouraged to apply. Students applying to SCRP as Webber Scholars should also review details found on the Willamette Science Outreach Program web site.
The application procedure consists of the following steps:
- Attend the informaton session on Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 7 pm in Collins 205.
- Meet with one or more of the participating faculty members and discuss possible research topics of mutual interest. If you are interested in pursuing participation in SCRP, the faculty member will assign you a problem or topic to research.
- Submit an application to the potential faculty collaborator consisting of: your name, year in school, major, faculty letter writer (see below), and an unofficial transcript.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member who can address your abilities in the laboratory and classroom, and your enthusiasm for doing research.
- A one-page statement explaining why you want to be part of the program, and what your qualifications are (e.g., relevant course work, previous research experience, and computer skills).
- An additional application assignment as designed by your potential faculty collaborator.
- Submit your application to your potential faculty collaborator.
- The SCRP administrative team will review the applications, make the final selections, and notify the applicants.
The application deadline is February 18, 2019. Awardees will be notified about two weeks after the submission deadline.
2019 SCRP Schedule
- An orientation session for successful applicants with the SCRP Co-Directors will take place in late April or early May.
- SCRP participants will also coordinate with their faculty collaborators before the end of the academic year.
- Experimental work will take place (for most groups) from June 3rd to August 2nd, 2019.
- All students and faculty attend the weekly SCRP picnics, each picnic organized by a different research team each Friday for the duration of the SCRP activities.
- Students will present their results during the in-house research conference on Friday, September 13, 2019.
- Students will prepare posters by early October, and will present their work to the members of the Rogers family during their traditional mid-October visit.
- Students will travel to the Murdock Regional Science Conference held November 8-9, 2019.