- PhD, Yale University 1969
To be an effective teacher, one should be enthusiastic about one’s subject. I thoroughly enjoy both the subject matter that I teach and the interactions that I have with my students. I hope that my enthusiasm is transferred to the students and that they will become engaged in the area of genetics, both at the theoretical and applied level.
Molecular techniques in microbial ecology
Advised Student Research
- Identification of RNA III Activiating Protein in Staphylococcus aureus using Enhanced Chemiluminescence. By Adam Brown.
- The Effect of Heavy Metal Concentration on Growth Rate and the Presence of Plasmid DNA in Escherichia coli and Enterobacter spp. Isolated from Nature. By Andrea Kemper.
- Plasmid Supercoiling and its Effect on the Transformation of Escherichia coli. By Benjamin D. Jones.
- Analysis of clinically derived strains of Staphylococcus spp based on antibiotic and plasmid profiles, restriction enzyme digestion and transformation of competent cells. By Viktoryia Wolfer.
- Antibiotic resistance of Escherichia coli isolated from three separate cattle sources with different levels antibiotic usage. By Jennifer Linden.
- Genetic diversity within two isolated populations of Eastern grey squirrels (Sciuruscarolinensis) using randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD). By Ian Lindsay.
- Rose, S., K. Sturgeon, J. Hare, and G. Thorsett. 2000. Soil Microbial Ecology of Oregon White Oak in an Urban landscape. (Submitted to Northwest Science).
- Rose, S., G. Thorsett, K. Sturgeon, and J. Hare. 1997. Soil microorganisms in the rhizosphere of Oregon White Oak. Proceedings of the Oregon Academy of Science. (abstract)
- Sturgeon, K., J. Hare, S. Rose, and G. Thorsett. 1997. Monitoring the recovery of an urban grove of Quercas garryana (Oregon White Oak) following changes in management practices. Natural Areas Association Conference, Portland, Oregon. Proceedings (abstract).
- Thorsett, G. 1977. Computers in the Biology Laboratory. Oregon Computing Teacher.
- Thorsett, G. 1976. The Use of the Computer in an Introductory Biology Laboratory. Proceedings of the 7th Annual Conference on Computers in Undergraduate Curricula.. Binghampton, New York.
- Thorsett, G. and F. Hutchinson. 1971. Effects on bacterial transformation of single-strand breaks in DNA, produced by deoxyribonuclease I and gamma rays. Biochem. et Biophys. Acta 238, 67-74.
- Koehnlein, W., Thorsett, G. and F. Hutchinson. 1966. A bacterial DNA with a difference in the thymine content in the complementary strands. Biochem. et Biophys. Acta 119, 195-197.