Support WU
A-Z Index

2003-2004 CLA Catalog

Quick Links

Jump to a Discipline

Jump to a Specific Course

Willamette University

900 State Street
Salem, Oregon 97301

503-370-6300 voice

Transfer Credits/Advanced Standing

Transfer students

In most cases, courses taken at regionally accredited colleges or universities will receive full credit if they are comparable to courses offered at Willamette. Courses with grades below a C- (C minus) will not receive credit. Six quarter hours or four semester hours of transfer credit equal one Willamette credit. Although students admitted with a college transfer Associate of Arts degree from an accredited community college will be automatically granted 15 Willamette credits (Junior standing) upon entrance, satisfaction of specific general requirements and major requirements will be determined on the basis of a course-by-course evaluation of the transcript(s). A maximum of 16 credits (15 credits for junior/community college) will be granted to transfer students.

Once a Willamette student has accumulated a total of 15 Willamette credits (60 semester or 90 quarter hours), including any transfer work, no further credits from a two-year college will be accepted toward the degree, although such courses do remain part of the official record.

Freshmen students with advanced standing

Willamette University encourages student participation in the Advanced Placement (AP) program sponsored by the College Board. All AP scores of "4" and "5" will be granted a minimum of one credit (4 semester hours). For a current listing of AP course equivalencies, contact the Registrar's Office.

The University also encourages participation in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program as offered in many schools overseas and, increasingly, in the United States. Willamette will grant one credit (4 semester hours) for each IB Higher Level examination passed with a score of "5" and two credits each for Higher Level exams passed with a score of "6" or "7." Willamette will also grant one additional credit to students who earn the full IB Diploma with a score of 30 or above. For a current listing of IB course equivalencies, contact the Register's Office.

A maximum of eight credits total may be earned from the AP and IB programs. This credit may be applied to major and minor programs with the approval of the academic departments concerned. Credit earned based on AP or IB scores may not be used to satisfy Mode of Inquiry (MOI) requirements.

College credits earned prior to secondary school graduation in concurrent enrollment programs may transfer to Willamette University if the credits are earned in regularly scheduled college classes taught by college professors to classes of primarily degree-seeking college students. Such courses must be more advanced in the discipline than courses normally offered at the secondary school. In order to be eligible for transfer for college courses must be described in the college catalog. College credit is not awarded for college courses taught at the high school.

In preparing for enrollment at Willamette University, secondary school students should have four years of college preparatory study including English, mathematics, foreign languages, history or social studies, and laboratory science. Secondary school students who take college courses that are replacements for courses available in their secondary school are considered to be doing their college preparatory work outside the secondary school curriculum, rather than accumulating credit toward the baccalaureate degree. Therefore, introductory courses taken at a college instead of a secondary school are viewed as college preparatory and not transferable. Credits that apply to secondary school diploma cannot be applied a second time to the baccalaureate degree.

Secondary school students who have completed an introductory course offered at their secondary school and who go on to do more advanced study in that subject at a college may earn baccalaureate transfer credit if their secondary school does not offer more advanced courses in that subject. No college credit is granted for College Level Examination Program (CLEP).

College credits earned prior to secondary school graduation that do not fall under the above specific policies are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Secondary school students should consult the Office of Admission or Office of the Registrar with any questions regarding the transferability of college credits earned prior to high school graduation. Under no circumstances will more than eight Willamette credits (the equivalent of 32 semester or 48 quarter credit hours) be granted for credit completed prior to secondary school graduation.