Support WU
A-Z Index

2011-2012 CLA Catalog

Quick Links

Jump to a Discipline

Jump to a Specific Course

Willamette University

900 State Street
Salem, Oregon 97301

503-370-6300 voice

Graduate School of Education

The Willamette University Graduate School of Education is a professional school that offers full-time (10-month) and part-time (two-year) Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree programs, designed to prepare teachers to become educational leaders. The purpose of the field-based program is to develop reflective professionals who are student-centered, collaborative and sensitive to issues of diversity and culture.

The Master of Education degree is a two year, non-cohort program designed for in-service teachers seeking to earn a masters degree. The M.Ed. may be earned in two years in addition to a specialty endorsement in Reading, English Speakers of other Languages (ESOL) and Special Education. Teacher research and environmental literacy are also offered in conjunction with the endorsement.

The Graduate School of Education recognizes that a solid liberal arts background is the best preparation for a career in teaching. Students interested in a teaching career are encouraged to select an undergraduate major related to the subject(s) they wish to teach and to gain some experience with youth of an appropriate age. Undergraduate courses and internships are available to help students prepare for the Master of Arts in Teaching program and the teaching profession. See the Education section for a full description of the undergraduate and graduate options.

For  information about admission to the Graduate School of Education, interested students should contact Heather Daniels, Associate Director of Admission, the Graduate School of Education, Willamette University, Salem, OR 97301; call 503-375-5453; e-mail:; or visit the website at

Graduate School of Education:  Specialty Endorsements

Specialty endorsements are offered through the GSE. These may be earned in one or two years and include the areas of Reading, ESOL and Special Education. Initial and continuing administrative licensure may also be obtained through the GSE.