- Speak Japanese with a Japanese Language Assistant from Japan.
- Become a Language Partner with Japanese students through classes.
- Participate at the Japanese Language Table to speak Japanese over meals.
- Enroll TIUA’s Japanese Language Mentor program to talk in Japanese.
- Participate in the Toyama Cup Japanese Speech Contest in Portland.
Learning Japanese Culture
- Join Japan Studies Student Leaders (JSSL) to work with Japanese students http://blog.willamette.edu/~llc_japanese/
- Sakura Matsuri (Cheery blossom festival) in April
- Japanese Dance (soran-bushi, hip-hop, etc.)
- Shodo (Japanese calligraphy)
- Kendo (Japanese martial arts)
- Japanese Movie / Cooking Nights
- Visiting the Japanese Garden in Portland, and more.
- Join Willamette Taiko Club (Japanese drum)
- Join Sanshin Club (Okinawan string instrument)
- Be roommate/hallmate with Japanese students.
- Teach Japanese at a Japanese after school program with Japanese students at a local middle school.
- Teach introductory Japanese classes to local middle school students through Willamette University’s Saturday Explorations program.
- Visit local schools to share your Japan experience in the Language in Motion program.
- Tutor Japanese students taking English and a variety of elective subject matter courses.
- Join the Japan Studies Student Leaders (JSSL) to organize Japan-related events.
- Work as an International Peer Coach (IPC) at TIUA and help orient Japanese students’ lives at Willamette University.
- Become an International Program Assistant (IPA) supporting administrative and co-curricular work.
- Work as a Community Associate (residence life staff) at TIUA in the Summer; help manage a one-week Japanese language & culture camp, “Kaneko Day Camp;” assist with Summer Special Programs.
Opportunities after Graduation
Many of our graduates work in Japan or attend graduate schools after graduation.
Work in Japan
- Work in Japan as an Assistant English Teacher (AET) or Coordinator for International Relations (CIR)) through the JET (Japan Exchange & Teaching) program.
- Join the KET (Kawagoe Exchange & Teaching) program to work as an AET. Kawagoe, Japan, is a home of TIU and has been a sister city with Salem since 1986.
- Work for Japanese companies in the Sates and in Japan.
- Columbia University; Georgetown University; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, San Diego; University of Hawaii, Manoa; University of Washington; Inter-University Center, Yokohama, Japan; Waseda University, Japan and many others.