Requirements for the Latin American Studies Major (9 Credits)
Five Credits from Society and Culture:
- ANTH 235 Cultures of Mexico and Ecuador
- CCM 345 (EV) Latina/o/x Communication Studies
- HIST 256 (TH) Colonial Latin America (1)
- HIST 258 Modern Latin America (1)
- LAS 380/SPAN 380 Latin American Cinema (1)
- POLI 362 Latin American Politics
- POLI 376W Latin American Revolutions (1)
- REL 334 Liberation Theology and Social Change (1)
- SOC 131 Sociological Inquiry: Latina/o Sociology (1)
- SOC 315 Social Movements, Collective Action, and Protest
- SPAN 333 (TH) Hispanic Civilization (1)
Also, every semester check the Course Schedule on the web for possible additional offerings under this category
Note: No double counting any courses used for other categories, i.e., Politics or History, or Language and Literature.
Three credits from Language and Literature
- ENGL 381 Latina/o Literature and Culture (1)
- SPAN 355 (IT) Latin American Literature I: Conquest to Independence (1)
- SPAN 356 (IT) Latin American Literature II: Modernismo to the Present (1)
- SPAN 427 Topics in Latin American Literature (1)
- SPAN 428 Contemporary Mexican Literature (1)
- SPAN 430 History of Hispanic Thought (1)
- SPAN 431 Contemporary Latin American Novel and Short Story (1)
- SPAN 435 Contemporary Latin American Women Writers (1)
Note: No double counting any courses used for other categories, i.e., Politics or History, or Language Literature.
One credit Senior Thesis:
In the fall of your senior year, all LAS majors must take LAS 497W, Senior Thesis in Latin American Studies.
Honors in Latin American Studies is awarded to all graduating students with a GPA of 3.8 or greater in the major.
Requirements for the Latin American Studies Minor (5 Credits)
- Four credits from Society and Culture
- One credit from Language and Literature