Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) and the Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
Here is an excellent video on what to do if you encounter someone who has collapsed:
The video advises that the first thing to do is to call 911. That's correct off campus, but on campus, you should call Campus Safety at 503-370-6911 (note the 911 after the "370-6..."). They will provide immediate assistance. They carry emergency equipment, including an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). There are also AEDs in Ford Hall and in Goudy Commons(see below).
After 911 (or Campus Safety) has been called, the video describes the correct, currently accepted resuscitation procedure.
Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Locations:
- Campus Safety Office
- Campus Safety Vehicle
- Ford Hall, 1st floor, on southeast wall near east doors
- Goudy Commons, main dining room, near tray return
- Kaneko Commons: A Wing, just outside the Atrium
- Law School, outside Student Services Center, room 202
- McCulloch Stadium: men's locker room
- Oregon Civic Justice Center: State Street side, at reception desk
- Sparks Center: main lobby, east wall
- University Center, inside north entrance
I suggest ICL members view the above video at the beginning of every semester, as well as print this list of AED locations and carry a copy in purse or wallet. Given the average age of our members, this information could be life-saving.
Director, Information Services