Individual Vocational Discernment Sessions
Willamette University's Definition of Vocation
At Willamette, we say that vocational discernment is the way we live out our passions in the world: the way in which our values, our commitments and our beliefs are embodied in our choices about work, about family, and about our political and social lives.
Exploring vocation means engaging in, reflecting on, and discerning meaning from life experiences. This is vocation in the context of a liberal arts education- a definition that opens up choice and options. It teaches students how to think critically, inquire freely, lead wisely, serve generously, and live with integrity.
Students who might benefit from individual discernment counseling...
- Want to make the most out of their Willamette experience
- Are looking for meaningful ways of connecting with the Willamette or Salem communities
- Are not sure what they want to do with their lives
- Want to spend time identifying or reflecting on values, strengths, interests, life passions
- Are looking for direction
- Want to discuss what their work or campus experiences might contribute to their future
- Are exploring future options
- Wonder why they are here
- Want to talk about if a major is a good fit for them
- Wonder what they might be able to do with their degree
- Want coaching in professional development or leadership skills
The Career Center can offer students support through vocational discernment counseling (sitting down to chat about these and related topics) in order to help them focus their thoughts in these areas.
The goal of vocational discernment counseling is to help students apply their critical thinking skills in intentional ways to their own lives. The Career Center offers students viable, practical ways of making connections between their passions and talents, what they are learning from their liberal arts education, and their futures.
Students who would like to arrange an individual session should call Jeani Bragg at the Career Center (503-370-6296) or email email@example.com.