Prior to the trip, participants can expect a time commitment of 1-2 hours per week. Trip communities typically meet weekly leading up to the trip to plan trip logistics, bond as a group, learn about the community issue their trip is focusing on, and serve with Salem agencies.
All TaB participants are expected to participate in fundraising activities, not only to recoup their own deposits, but because the TaB Program is not sustainable without it. TaB gets 20% of its funding from a Lilly Project grant—the other 80% comes from fundraising. We will plan two large fundraising events, one per semester, in which all participants are expected to be involved.
During the week of TaB participants will become a member of the community in which they are serving. Groups will serve in a variety of settings, work long days and participate in reflection activities in the evening to process what they are learning. TaB participants live simply, bringing their own sleeping bags to use while living in donated space, usually a local church or community building.