Deadline: October 1, 2012 (5 pm)
If you have health insurance that is comparable to the Willamette Student Health Insurance Plan offered through a different insurance company (i.e., through a parent/guardian, employer, spouse, or other source) and DO NOT want to take part in the Willamette Plan, you must complete the online waiver process starting July 16, 2012 and complete by October 1, 2012 at 5:00 p.m. or you will be automatically enrolled in the Willamette plan and the charge, which must be paid, will remain on your student account.
Students are expected to maintain comparable health insurance coverage at all times during the academic school year. If during the year your existing coverage is canceled it is the student’s responsibility to contact the WU Student Health Services to discuss the options for obtaining alternative coverage such as an individual plan or picking up the WU Student Plan with proof of loss of coverage.
Waivers should be submitted online through Aetna and instructions can be found to the right on this page.
Approved waivers remain in effect through the end of that academic year (Fall through Summer). If you submit a waiver in Fall and it is approved, it will apply to both the Fall and Spring semesters.
Spring Deadline: March 1, 2013 (5 pm)
Applies to new half time or more incoming students for Spring semester or students returning after an absence in the Fall semester.
New incoming students spring semester need to complete the Waiver Application Form and submit to the Bishop Wellness Center, Student Insurance office prior to March 1, 2013 for consideration. There is not an online version for Spring semester.
If you submit a waiver in the Spring Semester and it is approved, it will apply only to the Spring/Summer semesters. If you plan on attending during the next academic year, you must submit a new waiver for that year in the fall.
U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents
Criteria for waiving the health insurance requirement:
- Plan covers inpatient and outpatient medical care within the 97301 area. (Emergency only coverage doesn't meet the requirement.)
- Plan covers inpatient and outpatient mental health care within the 97301 area. (Emergency only coverage doesn't meet the requirement.)
- Plan pays for at least 70% of inpatient hospitalization.
- Plan cover at least $100,000 medical maximum per year?
- Plan has prescription coverage?
- Health plan must be active and provide health insurance coverage throughout the academic year.
How to Waive Fall 2012
- Go to Aetna Student Health and enter "Willamette"
- Select "Domestic Medical Plan: Waive" (located in left navigation)
- Go to: Middle of page-in price text box: "Waive: Student Plan" link
- Follow directions for entering your insurance information and submit to Aetna
- Aetna will verify with your carrier and notify Student Accounts to remove insurance premium charge from your student account.
NEW INCOMING OR RETURNING SPRING 2013 ( not here FALL 2012)
1. Fill out the Waiver Application Form and return to address at bottom of form prior to March 1, 2013.