Effective studying involves keywords and using them to your advantage; this applies to notes, texts and even exams.
What color should I use?
Go to a bookstore and play with them. Choose the one that attracts your eye the most.
What is the purpose of highlighting?
- To summarize, outline and identify critical elements, and organize thoughts.
- To help with focus, concentration and recall.
Suggestions for optimum highlighting
- Do not underline whole sentences: remember key word.
- Do not highlight the word more than once in one section.
- Each paragraph will have only 2-3 words or short phrases.
- Put definitions in brackets; highlight only the key word.
Effective highlighting is a strategy that will save time and boost grades!