Chicago Summer 2013
Offered every summer. Completed applications must be received at the Office of International Education by 4 p.m. on November 30, 2012. Students must use the common study abroad application (including the supplementary materials: study abroad statement, transcript request form, faculty recommendation, personal recommendation, and advisor form) to apply.
The Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture (CCULC) offers the diverse city of Chicago as the setting for a three and a half week May term (May 8 - May 29, 2013) and an eight and a half week summer program (June 5 - July 31, 2013). Students enter into internships in their vocational field of choice. The center has networked with over 300 different organizations to offer a broad support system and to ensure your successful placement within the community.
The CCULC is located in Hyde Park. This interesting area was highlighted in a recent 2012 article in American Way magazine.
Chicago Center staff will be on campus Monday, October 15th and Tuesday, October 16th. Visit their information table in the UC (outside the bookstore) and their info session (Monday, October 15th at 4:15 p.m.) in the Fireside Room, Matthews Intercultural Center (same location as the Office of International Education and the E&E Center).
- Program Dates: May term (May 8 - May 29, 2013) and Summer program (June 5 - July 31, 2013)
- WU credits earned: May term students will earn credit for IDS 343, Field Studies in Chicago (1 cr.). Summer program students earn IDS 343, Field Studies in Chicago (1 cr.) and IDS 395, Chicago Internship (1 cr.).
- Program Cost: In 2013, May term cost is $3,440 (portion paid to WU). The 2013 summer program cost is $7,870 (portion paid to WU). The program cost covers WU tuition, CCULC academic instruction and internship oversight, transportation passes, housing in a CCULC-owned brownstone (8-10 students per apartment; most bedrooms in the apartments are shared occupancy), and a meal stipend. Airfare to and from Chicago is not included.
- Costs paid directly to the Chicago Center: Students who are accepted will be asked to complete a secondary application to the Chicago Center after they accept their placement. An online application fee of $50 will need to be paid to the Chicago Center when submitting their application. Students must also pay a refundable housing security deposit of $100 to the Chicago Center upon arrival. Students accepted to the program take a city tour as part of the program. The cost of the tour is NOT included in the program fee, so students should plan to take money for this excursion ($75 for the May term, $175 for the summer program).
- Notes about the internship: Students participating in the shorter May term program will be placed in internships based on information they share with the CCULC prior to arrival. Students in the longer summer program will receive assistance from CCULC staff, but students should be aware that they will be contacting companies to arrange their own interviews for placements. Resource lists of past placement sites will be provided to students, but students are also encouraged to find their own placement locations as those provided may not cover all of the possible interests of students coming to the center. Previous student participants have said it helps if students begin looking for internships and contacting companies in advance of arrival to the Chicago Center and to understand that you will be expected to complete the internship search process within the first week of arrival. If you have questions about the internship, you are encouraged to email email@example.com or contact CCULC staff.
Students who wish to apply for this program must use the common study abroad application which is due by 4 p.m. on November 30, 2012. All application materials must be received at the Office of International Education by this deadline to be considered.
After being selected, students will need to pay a $300 deposit. After acceptance, students will also be asked to complete a supplementary CCULC application and pay a $50 CCULC application fee. The CCULC application IS NOT required by November 30, 2012. You will be directed on when and how to submit the CCULC application AFTER the WU selection process has been completed.