Chicago Summer 2014
Offered every summer. Completed applications must be received at the Office of International Education by 4 p.m. on December 4, 2013. Students must use the common study abroad application (including the supplementary materials: study abroad statement, transcript request form, faculty recommendation, personal recommendation, and advisor form) to apply.
The Chicago Center for Urban Life and Culture (CCULC) offers the diverse city of Chicago as the setting for an eight and a half week summer program (June 4 – July 30, 2014.). Students enter into internships in their vocational field of choice. The center has networked with over 300 different organizations to offer a broad support system and to ensure your successful placement within the community.
Chicago Center staff will be on campus Tuesday, September 24th. Visit their information table in the UC (outside the bookstore) during the day and see them at the Summer Opportunities Fair (drop in any time between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the Alumni Lounge, UC 3rd floor).
- Program Dates: Summer program runs from June 4 – July 30, 2014. Students accepted into the program will receive specific arrival instructions. DO NOT book a flight until you are directed about arrival.
- WU credits earned: Summer program students earn IDS 343, Field Studies in Chicago (1 cr.) and IDS 395, Chicago Internship (1 cr.).
- Program Cost: The 2014 summer program cost is $7,870 (portion paid to WU). The program cost covers WU tuition, CCULC academic instruction and internship oversight, transportation passes, housing in a CCULC-owned brownstone (8-10 students per apartment; most bedrooms in the apartments are shared occupancy), and a meal stipend. Airfare to and from Chicago is not included.
- Costs paid directly to the Chicago Center: Students who are accepted will be asked to complete a secondary application to the Chicago Center after they accept their placement. An online application fee of $50 will need to be paid to the Chicago Center when submitting their application. Students must also pay a refundable housing security deposit of $100 to the Chicago Center upon arrival. Students accepted to the program take a city tour as part of the program. The cost of the tour is NOT included in the program fee, so students should plan to take money for this excursion ($200 for the summer program).
- Notes about the internship: Students in the summer program will receive assistance from CCULC staff, but students should be aware that they will be contacting companies to arrange their own interviews for placements. Resource lists of past placement sites will be provided to students, but students are also encouraged to find their own placement locations as those provided may not cover all of the possible interests of students coming to the center. Previous student participants have said it helps if students begin looking for internships and contacting companies in advance of arrival to the Chicago Center and to understand that you will be expected to complete the internship search process within the first week of arrival. If you have questions about the internship, you are encouraged to email email@example.com or contact CCULC staff.
Students who wish to apply for this program must use the common study abroad application which is due by 4 p.m. on December 4, 2013. All application materials must be received at the Office of International Education by this deadline to be considered.
After being selected, students will need to pay a $300 deposit. After acceptance, students will also be asked to complete a supplementary CCULC application and pay a $50 CCULC application fee. The CCULC application IS NOT required by December 4, 2013. You will be directed on when and how to submit the CCULC application AFTER the WU selection process has been completed.