Fire Alarm Response
- Pull fire alarm
- Call 6911
Initiating a false fire report or tampering with fire equipment will result in a fine.
- Always assume an alarm is real and exit the building quickly without running. You must exit, even if you know the alarm is false.
- Use normal exits if you can, but never use the elevator.
- Before opening a door, use the back of your hand to feel near the top for heat.
- If the door is hot or warm, or smoke is present, do not open.
- If the door is cool, open slowly.
- Close doors behind you to limit the spread of fire and smoke.
- If you must exit through heat or smoke, cover your nose and mouth with a towel or a piece of clothing, then crawl or crouch.
- Move well away from the building and meet your fellow residents at the designated location. Do not re-enter until a Campus Safety officer or the Fire Department gives permission. Anyone who interferes with a firefighter or fails to cooperate in any way is subject to a fine and/or arrest.
- If you cannot exit, place towels or a blanket (wet, if possible) at the base of the door. Open a window, yell for help, wave a towel or shirt. If there is a phone, call 6911.
Mobility Impairment Response
- COLLINS SCIENCE CENTER, HATFIELD LIBRARY, WALLER HALL: Individuals who use wheelchairs or other assistive technology for mobility should be directed to designated safe areas in the stairwells.
- ALL OTHER BUILDINGS: Building Captains will check for individuals needing special assistance.
- Call 503-370-6911, or 6911 from campus phones. Report that there is a mobility-impaired individual in Building____, Floor____, Room____. If you cannot call, open a window, yell for attention, wave a towel or shirt.
- Close the door and wait with the person for Fire Department personnel.
- NEVER CARRY AN INDIVIDUAL UNLESS THERE IS IMMINENT DANGER. Leave any assistive devices behind and follow the instructions of the individual as to how he/she is best transported.