Cellular Telephone Policy
1. Purpose and Scope
- Willamette University wishes to provide the most consistent, convenient and cost effective cellular telephone services possible to its employees. The objectives of this policy are to:
- provide guidelines to employees who may wish to have a cellular telephone to conduct University business;
- apply standards to the cellular telephone equipment and service agreements used by University employees;
- simplify and make more manageable the University’s relationship with cellular telephone vendors;
- provide a system for monitoring cellular telephone usage patterns so that plans can be routinely modified to better meet the needs of the user;
- ensure that the University’s acquisition of cellular telephone services is cost-effective; and
- provide an internal system for purchasing cellular telephone services, gaining access to repair services, acquiring necessary training and support and communicating available programs to the community; and
- establish a system for monitoring future developments in cellular services and selecting those that meet the needs of the University.
This policy applies to all faculty and staff of the University.
2. Cellular Service Vendors
To facilitate accomplishment of the above objectives, the University may at its discretion enter into contracts with cellular telephone service providers. During the period when one or more of these contracts is in force, the University will only purchase cellular telephones or cellular telephone service agreements for employee use on the basis of these contracts, unless a specific exception is granted.
3. Eligibility and Approval
Cellular telephones and services may be provided to certain Willamette University employees to conduct activities incident to their University employment that either cannot not be conducted on a land-line telephone or for which it would be inefficient to use a land-line telephone. Requests for cell phones must be approved by the employee’s supervisor (who will determine need), the budget officer for the employee’s department, and Willamette Integrated Technology Services (who will provide advice on the most appropriate equipment and plans).
4. Personal Calls
Willamette University provides cellular telephones to employees for the purpose of conducting University business. The use of University-owned cellular equipment to make or receive personal calls is discouraged, although it is understood that usage for personal reasons may be necessary in emergency situations. Employees must realize that although personal calls made within the local calling region and under the usage limits provided by the employee’s plan do not result in additional charges, they do count toward the overall time limits established under the service agreement. Any overage, long distance, roaming or other charges realized by the employee for personal calls shall be the responsibility of the employee.
5. Other Restrictions
An employee may not operate a personal business from a University cell phone.
6. Plans, Handsets, Features and Accessories
The University will contract for a set of usage plans, handsets, features and telephone accessories that will serve the needs of most employees. An employee wishing to have features other than those offered in the available programs must have approval of his or her supervisor and Willamette Integrated Technology Services (WITS).
7. Damage, Loss or Theft
Handsets or other equipment that is damaged in the course of business should be brought to WITS, who will contact the vendor for replacement or repair. Lost or stolen cellular equipment should be immediately reported to the employee’s supervisor, to Campus Safety and to WITS so that the service can be cancelled. All costs incurred for replacement or repair will be the responsibility of the employee’s department.
8. Usage Monitoring
Managers and supervisors are responsible for educating subordinates about appropriate cellular telephone procedures and monitoring their usage. In emergency situations, managers may grant exceptions to these usage policies. In such circumstances, any charges incurred for personal use must be reimbursed by the employee on a timely basis.
9. Program management
The relationship with cellular providers shall be managed through Willamette Integrated Technology Services. WITS staff will place all orders for cellular telephones and services with the contracted vendor and take delivery of equipment. WITS staff will contact employees ordering equipment when it arrives and provide necessary orientation and training. WITS staff will monitor plans and overall usage and suggest changes in service agreements to provide the most convenient and economical plan to the employee.
Employees may call the local representatives of the contracted vendor or vendors to discuss the various options available on University sponsored programs.
WITS will also monitor changes in cellular telephone technologies and make recommendations for improvements in the University’s equipment on an as needed basis.
10. Personal Purchases
Employees may take advantage of the University’s contracted rates to establish personal accounts. Such personal accounts will be in the employee’s name, all charges will be the responsibility of the employee, and all invoices will be sent directly to the employee’s billing address.
Effective Date: May 1, 2002For questions or inquiries, email email@example.com.
Last modified 8/30/03 by WITS