October 4, 2014 - November 1, 2014
9 a.m. to noon (Saturdays)
Collins and Olin Science Centers & Ford Hall
Price: $75 per student Registration is closed. Contact Christine at 503-370-6513 for late cancellations and openings.
What is Saturday Explorations?
Saturday Explorations is for students in grades 5-8 with an interest in science, math, robotics, computer programming, arts and humanities, or language and culture. Classes are held on five consecutive Saturday mornings for three hours each. We welcome creative, curious and talented 5th through 8th grade students who would like to spend time with similar youth learning about a specific topic. Classes are kept small, usually a maximum of ten students per instructor.
Fall 2014 course selections are:
- Science Rotation: Discover the excitement of science with different lab-based science experiments each week. Topics in chemistry, biology, physics, geology, neuroscience, environmental science and forensics are explored. All classes include hands-on activities taught by enthusiastic Willamette University undergraduates who love science. Students are grouped by grade.
- Chinese Culture and Language: Are you interested in learning about contemporary Chinese life? Experience Chinese Culture and tradition, practice Chinese games, arts and crafts and learn Mandarin Chinese language in this fun and active class.
- Music Technology: Explore the world of music as a musicologist, a music theorist and a recording engineer in Willamette University's recording studio. Dissect and analyze well-known concertos; Use Garage Band to compose your own. Undergraduate music majors teach with supervision from university faculty.
- Web Design: Learn Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver software platforms. Create your own ready-to-publish web page.
- Beginning Robotics: Design, build and program a robot to race, 'sumo' wrestle, and joust. Use the Lego Mindstorms robots to practice and learn programming.
- Advanced Robotics: Engineer robots for specific environmental challenges. Program more complex robotic movements. Design solutions to problems. Build, test and revise your solutions. Prerequisite: Beginning Robotics.
Download, print, read and complete the two page liability release form and bring it to the first day of class or mail it to the address below on or before September 27, 2014.
Registration deadline is Sunday, September 28, 2014
To register by mail, download and print the registration form and the liability release form. Read, complete and mail both the registration and the 2 page liability release form with payment, your check made out to Willamette University, to:
Youth Programs Coordinator
900 State Street
Salem, OR 97301
Questions? Please call 503-370-6513 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Scholarships are available when tuition revenue allows. Contact Christine Speak regarding scholarship availability and application procedures.
Like us on facebook