Star Trees Lighting and Holiday Concert
Saturday, December 7, 2013
The 17th annual Star Trees Lighting and Holiday Concert will begin with a holiday dinner and end with a free concert.
A buffet dinner will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. in Goudy Commons. The menu includes:
- Wilted Spinach Salad with Smoked Bacon, Shaved Red Onions, Rainshadow Farms Heirloom Eggs & Warm Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Wheatberry, Quinoa & Wild Rice Salad with Dried Cranberries, Orange Segments, Chopped Parsley, Celery & Flying Bee Honey-Herb Vinaigrette
- Mixed Greens Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash, Candied Pumpkin Seeds,House Made Ricotta & a Maple-Vanilla Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Creamy Portobello Mushroom Soup with Whole Grains & Fresh Herbs
- Roasted Chicken Soup with Onions, Celery, Carrots, Orzo Pasta & Fresh Herbs
- Country Natural Beef Pot Roast with Onions, Carrots, Yukon Gold Potatoes & Root Vegetables
- Sage, Rosemary & Oregon Sea Salt Rubbed Traeger Smoked Turkey with Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir & Oregon Cherry Reduction or Wild Mushroom Gravy
- Tortellini Pasta with Egor's Acres Kale, Sauteed Shallots, Garlic & Fresh Herb Infused Olive Oil
- Roasted Egor's Acres Carnival Squash
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes topped with Crisp Potato-Cheddar Crust
- Maple-Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites
- Mini White Chocolate Cups filled with Eggnog Mousse
- Vegan Cherry Pistachio Cookies
- Frosted Tree Sugar Cookies & Star Sprinkles
No reservations are needed for this dinner. The cost is $11 for adults, $8 for Willamette faculty, staff and students and $8 for children 13 and younger. Children 5 and younger eat for free if accompanied by an adult.
The lighting of the five Giant Sequoias, known as the Star Trees, will begin at 6:30 p.m. in front of Waller Hall, where free hot chocolate and cookies will be served. The Interfraternity Council, a group of students representing fraternities on campus, will accept donations of coats and clothing during the lighting ceremony to benefit people in need.
The five trees were planted 71 years ago by Willamette President Carl Sumner Knopf in honor of Willamette’s centennial. They are now some of the largest trees on any American campus.
The lighting ceremony will be followed by a free family concert at 7 p.m. at Smith Auditorium, sponsored by the university’s music department. The Willamette University Wind Ensemble and special guests will perform an array of seasonal music. Seating is limited.
For information about the Star Trees lighting, please contact Colleen Kawahara at email@example.com.