Master of Arts in Teaching
- I am very confident with the subject matter and material for both my content areas. I am passionate as a person and utilize the “practice what I preach method” to help teach my students through experience as well as the curriculum.
- I am able to connect and establish relationships with my students. This allows me to make the course and daily activities relevant to their lives as students and people. I also believe the relationships I establish with my students is sincere and they see that and as a result can invest more in their education.
- I am strong and determined as an individual and teacher. Teaching is a very challenging profession, as it is multifaceted; however, I keep going and try and find ways to improve the situation by changing my mindset. I take the successes as they come, as small or large as they come. Successes and breakthroughs are what make each day unique a new challenge to take on.
- I like to use reflection and discussion with my peers and mentors to problem solve when I have less successful days. After writing down how the class went and the sequence of events I can usually pinpoint where a lesson took a wrong turn. Thus, knowing how and why a lesson turned out the way it did can lead to a more successful class session in the future.
- Willamette University, BA (exercise science)
- Willamette University, MAT
Teacher Research Topic
Incorporating intellectual and cognitive strategies into physical activity in high school physical education classes.
- McNary High School, Salem, Ore., personal fitness, gr. 9 and team sports, grades 9 & 10
- McNary High School, Salem, Ore., health education, wellness 1, gr. 9
- Washington Elementary School, physical education, gr. 1-5
- Literacy Squared (English and Spanish instructed classrooms)
- Judson Middle School, wellness, gr. 8
Student Teaching Supervisors
- Marlo Cleary, McNary High School, Keizer, Ore. (physical education)
- Kevin Plechl, McNary High School, Keizer, Ore. (health education), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carol Lindquist, Washington Elementary School, Salem, Ore. (physical education), email@example.com
- Larry Schaffer, Judson Middle School, Salem, Ore. (health education), firstname.lastname@example.org