Master of Arts in Teaching
Middle School Education, High School Education
ESOL, Language Arts, Multiple Subjects
- I would say that my first strength is time management. I use superior time management skills to balance teaching, lesson plans, grading, and being a coach for the West Salem Softball team. I take time reflecting with students individually so I can understand how students react to material. I infuse my extra time into planning my lesson plans which allows space to readdress or follow up on ideas. This allows me to spend more time on what my students need without letting stress about time affect my teaching or my attitude.
- I value flexibility and continue to revamp my lessons based on what my current students need. I believe that this is one of my strengths because I am willing to change and adapt to the needs of my students. I respect their individuality and recognize they may not have the ability to switch their learning styles but I have the ability of presenting them the material in a way in which they can access it and use it.
- One strength that was brought to my attention by my students was my ability to be clear. Clear directions and expectations provide students with an easy to understand access point into the classroom. I think this helps me cut down on the time giving directions to the group, and lets me work individually with students. I believe being clear and concise allows students to be more independent when working because they do not need to rely on me to continually explain the prompt or assignment and are empowered to learn.
- One thing I pride myself on is the relationships I have formed with my students. My goal is to make the classroom feel like a community that they can succeed in. In order to create this community, I have taken it upon myself to get to know each student both as a person and member of my class. I studied the interactions (Both positive and negative) between my students in order to find activities and interventions that would help keep the class running smoothly.
- WIllamette University BA in English 2012 (Emphasis in Creative Writing )
- West Salem High School, Salem, OR, 11, Various, American Literature and English Language Development LIterature
- Adam Stephens MIddle School , Salem, OR, 7th , English Language Arts
- Instructional Assistant, Judson MIddle School, Salem, OR , Undergraduate Instructional Assistant. Helped students that were behind their peers. Lead small groups and graded work.
- West Salem Softball Varsity Assistant Coach, West Salem, Salem, OR, Lead drills and help improve student athletic skills.
- Nike Softball Camp Director , Willamette University, Salem, OR, Running softball camps during the summer for students age 8-18.
Student Teaching Supervisor
- Bryan Haws, West Salem High School, Salem, OR
- Joel Hoff, Adam Stephens Middle School , Salem, OR
- Karen Hamlin, PhD, Willamette University, firstname.lastname@example.org