Matthew Shoki Tanabe
Master of Arts in Teaching
- I am caring and passionate person, believing strongly in a student-based educational approach both in inspiration and instruction. One cannot teach well if one does not also learn well from one's students.
- I am knowledgeable. I enjoy engaging myself and my students in trivia that appeals to both parties & fosters a comfortable and productive environment.
- I am honest and trustworthy. I strive to show my students nothing more or less than exactly who I am in the classroom. I keep deeply personal details safely away from my curriculum and conversation, but maintain an air of confidence and patience that let students know that I am approachable and will listen to them completely and with an unbiased ear.
- I have a good sense of humor and I enjoy having fun. A stuffy classroom is no place for learning - the windows must be thrown open to the world and all it has to offer. I take opportunities to amuse or enlighten the class with personal reflections based on relevant experience and encourage students to do the same.
- Willamette University, BA in Art, 2012 (Minor in Writing)
- McNary High School, Keizer, OR, 10-12, Honors English 10, Creative Writing
- Waldo Middle School, Salem, OR, 6, English Language Arts
- English Tutor, Wakayama School of Language, Wakayama, Japan, Offered tutorials in the English language to fellow students.
Student Teaching Supervisor
- Susanne Stefani, McNary High School, Keizer, OR
- Chelsea Woods, Waldo Middle School, Salem, OR
- Karen Hamlin, PhD, Willamette University, firstname.lastname@example.org