Willamette University Choirs Give Free Public Concerts
The Willamette University Chamber Choir and the Willamette Singers, under the direction of Dr. Wallace H. Long, Jr., will perform the "Winter Tour Kickoff Concert" at the University's Rogers Music Center, Hudson Hall, Saturday, Jan. 8, at 7 p.m. The public is invited to this free concert.
Choral ensembles from South Salem High School, under the direction Carol Stenson, North Salem High School, under the direction of Kerry Burtis, and McNary High School, under the direction of Paul Mayhew, will also perform.
The concert, the first in a tour that visits 9 western cities, will feature a variety of sacred and secular works, both a cappella and accompanied.
The Willamette Chamber Choir is a 44-voice ensemble which tours annually throughout the Northwest and is a frequent performer at music conventions and workshops held by the American Choral Directors Association, Music Educators National Conference and Oregon Music Educators Association. At the invitation of Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the Chamber Choir toured South Africa in the summer of 2004. Chamber Choir recently released its fifth CD, "Thula Sizwe: A Celebration of Hope," which contains music from their South African tour.
The Willamette Singers is a 16-member vocal jazz ensemble. In recent years they have been invited to perform for many regional, national and international conventions of the American Choral Directors Association, Oregon Music Educators Association, Music Educators National Conference and the International Association of Jazz Educators. Singers' eighth CD, "Witchcraft," was released in the fall of 2004.
Additional tour venues include:
- The First United Methodist Church, 1165 Monroe Ave. NW, Corvallis, Sunday, Jan. 9, at 8:45 a.m.;
- Peace Memorial Presbyterian Church, 4431 S. Sixth, Klamath Falls, Sunday, Jan. 9, at 7 p.m. with choral ensembles from Henley High School, under the direction of Bonnie Hay, Klamath Union High School, under the direction of Chuck Hamilton, and Mazama High School, under the direction of Gerald Lemieux;
- Mazama High School, 1420 S. Avalon, Klamath Falls, Monday, Jan.10, at 8:30 a.m.;
- Lafayette/Orinda Presbyterian Church, Lafayette, CA., Jan. 10, at 7:30 p.m. with choral ensembles from Acalanes High School, under the direction of Bruce Lengacher, and Miramonte High School, under the direction of Chris Olin;
- Acalanes High School, 1200 Pleasant Hill Rd., Lafayette, CA., Tuesday, Jan. 11, at 10:55 a.m.;
- St. Mary's Catholic Church, 608 N Church St., Visalia, CA., Tuesday, Jan.11, at 7 p.m. with choral ensembles from Long Beach State University and College of the Sequoias;
- Bel Air Presbyterian Church, 16221 Mulholland Dr., Los Angeles, CA., Wednesday, Jan. 12, at 7 p.m. with choral ensembles from Campbell Hall High School, under the direction of Frank Basile, and Hamilton Academy, under the direction of John Hamilton;
- Anaheim, Thursday, Jan. 13, The Willamette Singers will appear in concert at Disneyland;
- Unity in Marin Church, 600 Palm Dr., Novato, CA., Friday, Jan. 14, at 7 p.m. with choral ensembles from Novato High School, under the direction of Kenneth Gartner, and the San Marin High School, under the direction of Emily Gates.
Willamette University, located in Salem, Oregon was founded in 1842, and is the first university in the West. Willamette is comprised of the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Law, the Atkinson Graduate School of Management and the School of Education. The University has a long tradition of outstanding instrumental and vocal music programs.