Class of 2012 takes promising first steps after graduating from Willamette
- Hometown: Prineville, Ore.
- Major: Politics, Russian minor
- After graduation: Social Performance Coordinator with British Gas’ Queensland Gas Co. and then applying to Tufts University to pursue a masters in law and diplomacy
- Senior thesis: "‘Deserving’ rather than ‘Deviant’: Explaining California’s Victim-Centered Anti-Trafficking Legislation within the Securitization of Human Trafficking"
- Activities and Honors: Ford Family Foundation Scholar, Carson Undergraduate Research Grant, Lilly Vocational Discernment Grant, Kate Wyckoff Outstanding Politics Senior Award, Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women, Students Against Slavery president, Opening Days leader, Willamette Events Board, Jumpstart leader, weekly volunteer at Mid Valley Women’s Crisis Services, Crew, Take a Break facilitator, Campus Ambassadors
What are you doing after graduation, and what’s your overall career goal?
I will be working in Queensland, Australia with British Gas’ Queensland Gas Co. as a social performance coordinator. Part of my job description will be serving as the liaison between the community and the company and striving to mitigate the social impacts a large gas company exerts on rural communities. After gaining valuable job experience, I plan on applying to Tufts’ Fletcher School of International Affairs to pursue a masters degree in law and diplomacy.
What do you value the most about your Willamette experience?
I value the relationships I have built at Willamette, which have allowed me to get to where I am today. The small class sizes allowed me to build lasting relationships with professors, as well as campus administrators. From lunch chats with Associate Dean Don Negri to Bistro dates with my politics professors, I have been able to learn and grow from the incredible faculty and staff at Willamette. They have encouraged and shaped my passion to fight against the structural inequalities of our global society.
What will you miss about Willamette?
I will miss my amazing professors and the incredibly talented students who make Willamette such a challenging and vibrant intellectual community! Also, I will miss the lavender Italian sodas at the Bistro and the cherry blossoms in the spring.