Transfer of Stocks & Mutual Funds
Gifts of appreciated stocks or bonds often provide more tax advantages than cash gifts because you avoid capital gains tax and you get a market value tax deduction if you have held the securities for more than a year. Making such a gift is quite simple if you hold the securities in a brokerage account in “street name”, which is typical. (If your securities are held in an IRA or other retirement account, you should not do anything before consulting your financial advisors or Willamette’s Office of Gift Planning.)
Simply provide the following information to your broker:
- Brokerage Firm: Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
- Account Name: Willamette University
- Account Number: 899-105159-521
- DTC number: 0015
- Willamette Tax ID: 93-0386972
- Representative: Jim Kniffin (503) 588-5741
Please contact Steve Brier, Director of Gift Planning, at (866) 204-8102 (toll free) or email@example.com, to let Steve know the name of the corporation and the number of shares that your broker is transferring to Willamette. We need this information promptly in order to properly credit your gift and ensure your tax deduction.
Please also contact Steve Brier first if any of the following apply:
- you hold physical stock certificates;
- a plan administrator holds your shares;
- you want to contribute shares in a mutual fund;
- or you or your financial advisors have any questions.