Google's email web interface has a built in chat system known as "gchat" or "gtalk." Individual software and Apps can be made to connect to gchat as well. Things to note:
- You can manage your gchat settings via your mail settings on the "Chat" tab.
- A webcam and microphone can be used for video or voice chatting.
- A green status icon means the person is available to chat, yellow means the person is away from the computer, and red means the person is busy or does not want to be disrupted.
- You can click the down-arrow icon that appears when you hover over your own name to adjust your status icon, message, or even set yourself "invisible."
- If a person is invisible he or she cannot be seen by others' chat lists.
- To manage whether or not a person shows up on your chat list hover over his or her name, click the "More" button, and then choose the option you want.