Mailgroups to Google Groups Migration
As part of the transition into Google Apps for Education, WITS will be moving Mailgroups into the new Google Groups structure. All existing content, membership and access permissions will be copied from existing mailgroups into Google Groups.
Over the summer of 2012 WITS will be conducting the migration of mailgroups into Google Groups.
Here are important dates about when your account might be moved:
- Friday, June 1: Any new mailgroups requested will be created as a Google Group
- Opt-in available for anyone who wants to move a mailgroup early
- Monday, July 9: Bulk migration of existing mailgroups begins.
All mailgroups are expected to be fully migrated by the time Fall Semester 2012 starts.
What does this mean for me?
- Manage your groups in whole new ways. Google Groups provides an extremely rich web-interface for managing groups, full of new features not available on our old system.
- New things you can do with your mailgroup
- You can still use the groups the same way you are used to. You can set up your group to function exactly the same on the new system as the old one.
- Setting up your Google Group to mirror the old mailgroups
- WITS Staff and the Help Desk will be available to assist you with the transition, to help you get up to speed quickly and to demonstrate new features available in Google Groups.
We have created and collected many resources to help you get the most out of using Google Apps for Education here at Willamette University
- Overview of Google Groups - Google's own documentation on Google groups.
- Setting up Google Groups just like your old mailgroup
- Managing Membership in Google Groups
- New features WITS thinks you'll like
Training labs & Workshops
WITS staff is ready to help make your transition to Google Apps for Education as easy and efficient as possible. If you have questions, you can contact:
WITS Help Desk
Central support for students, staff and faculty.
WITS User Services Consultants
Distributed support for faculty and staff. Contact the USC assigned to your department or office