Over the summer of 2012, WITS rolled out a major upgrade of the network file server. The new file servers will provide streamlined access to both personal and shared departmental file storage space as well as additional functionality.
During the winter & spring of the 2012-2013 academic year we are gradually moving all of the departmental shares and other class-based shares onto the new file server.
- What is the Groupfiles share?
- How does this impact me and my department?
- What new features are available with the Groupfiles shares?
- Why are we making this transition?
- How do I connect to to my department shares after the transition
Groupfiles (groupfiles.willamette.edu\dept) is a network file storage space where departments, classes, or other groups have space to store and share important files.
All departments in the WU community, both academic and administrative will now have a folder inside the share for their use. This replaces the fuctionality previously handled by the individual shares created on-demand for departments or projects (e.g. \\home,willamette.edu\econ will now become \\groupfiles.willamette.edu\dept\econ)[back to top]
All existing department share need to be migrated from the old file server (home.willamette.edu) to the new one (groupfiles.willamette.edu).
- This transition will be facilitated by WITS User Services; the USC for your department or school should be in contact with you as we prepare to move existing shared files
- IN and OUT boxes are now available for the department shares
- Every department will now have a share. Previously only departments who requested shares had them created, but we are now making one for each academic/administrative department at Willamette University.
The fileserver that held the old department shares is out-of-date, out of warranty and out of support and has been replaced by a new, more robust system. In order to keep both systems up during the transition, we created new names for the fileservers you will use.[back to top]
On-Campus: You can map netfiles as a drive on your computer.
Off-Campus: The Groupfiles shares are not available to be accessed from off our network (same as the old department shares)[back to top]