Network File Storage
Netfiles: personal storage (\\netfiles.willamette.edu)
Students, faculty and staff have access to personal storage space on Willamette's network file server. This space is automatically created when your network account is made. The NetFiles storage space can be used to store and back up data for classes, projects and academic research. The file servers themselves are backed up regularly and data can be recovered in cases of local hard drive failures or accidental file corruption or deletion. All members of the community are strongly encouraged to save any files that cannot afford to be lost to their NetFiles storage space.
The file server may be accessed from any computer that has network connectivity. It is similar to DropBox or other on-line storage services - and it's completely free.
- Space: 10gb of storage are allotted to each personal share.
- Connecting On-Campus: Map your NetFiles storage space as a network drive to access it easily from your computer on campus
- Connecting from Off Campus: You MUST connect via a file transfer client application and use Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) to access your NetFiles storage space from off campus. You can also use an SFTP client to connect to NetFiles from campus.
- File Transfer Client Software: To access the NetFiles storage from off-campus, download and install a file transfer client application such as Filezilla or Cyberduck (both have versions for PC and Mac). Configuration instructions for SFTP client software.
- Personal website: You can also set up a personal website on your NetFiles directory.
- Backups: NetFiles makes daily copies of each stored file, called snapshots. These snapshots are user-accessible so you can retrieve your own files from a previous version. Please contact the WITS Help Desk or your user services consultant for help accessing or using the snapshots.
- Transition to NetFiles FAQ
Groupfiles: department shares (\\groupfiles.willamette.edu\dept)
Every campus department (administrative & academic) has a shared department drive. This is a space to store and collaborate with co-workers and other people across campus. Many departments heavily use this storage system for all of their mission-critical work files.
- Space: 10gb of space are allotted to each department share.
- Instructions for checking available space on your department share -TBA
- Connecting On-Campus: Groupfiles department share mapping
- Connecting Off-Campus: None of the Groupfiles Shares are available off campus
- Special Folders:
- IN and OUT folders are automatically created for each department.
- Restricted & Expanded folders can be created by request - TBA
- Transition to Groupfiles FAQ
Groupfiles: workspace (\\groupfiles.willamette.edu\workspace)
There are other specific network shares created to support coursework, provide access to specialized softer, or other academic needs.
- Connecting On-Campus: Workspace share mapping
- Connecting Off-Campus: None of the Workspace shares are available off campus
- Membership: Staff members who are also members of the workspace share can request membership additions/removal. Please submit a WITS Service Request with the following information:
- Designation whether people are to be ADDED or REMOVED
- The Willamette Usernames of the people to be added/removed
- If multiple people are being added/removed please separate the groups by ADD and REMOVE
- List the usernames only and separate each with a ';'
- EX: "Please make the following membership changes to WITS-WORKSPACE: ADD- mjones; rminato; jdmiller REMOVE- jballing; khouse"