Getting Anti-Virus Software at Willamette
WITS Anti-Virus Policies for students
Willamette University policy requires that all computers on the campus network have up-to-date anti-virus software installed and running on your computer. For all personal, non-university purchased computers it is your responsibility to acquire, install, and update your own anti-virus software.
WITS Currently recommends the following Anti Virus programs. All are available for free to individuals
- Microsoft Security Essentials (PC) - Effective and free AV provided my Microsoft to run on Windows
- ClamXav (Mac) - Free AV for OSX
- *** NOTE!: More than one anti-virus program is installed on your computer can cause problems. If you plan to switch Antivirus programs be sure to uninstall the previous one before installing anything new.
- Windows 8 Users: Windows 8 has Windows Defender Antivirus pre-installed for all Windows 8 systems (although some vendors will still install free trials of other Antivirus software), so you do not need to acquire a 3rd party AV program.
Anti Virus policies for Staff & Faculty
- University-owned computers: WITS installs System Center Endpoint protection (provided my Microsoft) as Anti-Virus on all university owned computers to ensure that all staff and faculty are protected from virus infection. If you are a Willamette employee, and you do not have anti-virus software on your office computer, please submit a WITS Service Request, and we will send a technician to install the software at no cost to your department.
- Personal computers: This software is NOT available for staff, faculty, or other university employees on personal computers. For all personal, non-university purchased computers it is your responsibility to acquire, install, and update your own anti-virus software.